Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

step by step software

Posted by tony woollacott 
step by step software
May 04, 2011 05:43AM
Is there anyone out there who could give me a step by step procedure on what software I need and what I need to do to get it to comunicate with the machine?
I have bought an electronic kit which I have connected up to the stepper motors.
Please point me in the right dirrection. confused smiley
Re: step by step software
May 04, 2011 06:01AM
What electronic kit did you buy?

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
May 04, 2011 06:57AM
It's a generation 3 Kit.
May 04, 2011 07:00AM
Then you might want the fiveD firmware

[objects.reprap.org]

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
May 04, 2011 07:06AM
I have the Gen3 electronics (from Makerbot) and use Skeinforge (39) to generate the gcode and the RepRap Host to send it to the machine which is running the 'standard' fiveD firmware.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
May 04, 2011 07:17AM
the firmware is apparently already loaded and ready to roll. I need to know about the reprap software and how it all talks to the machine etc.
May 04, 2011 07:53AM
Depends on who you bought the boards from.
If from Makerbot then it is the Makerbot firmware and NOT the FiveD firmware.
The firmware and Host software should be from the same release.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
May 27, 2011 10:07AM
I am having what sounds like the same issue of no communication with host software. the fiveD firmware upload was completed with arduino software, printer clicks on when software "connects" and then nothing. no temp data from printer, no movement when interactive controls used. I am running on techzone monotronics with red snapper. did you ever get things working? how?
May 27, 2011 01:11PM
I have got it working to a point. I am yet to test the hot end but the led lights up when you turn the heater on so I guess it should all work.
My problem was that I had no recognition between the motherboard and the PC and as expected the solution was really simple, if you knew how!>grinning smiley< Here is what I did:

First I went to the setting host preferences,
[objects.reprap.org] , then went to
[www.ftdichip.com] , for the driver to set-up the COM
port.

Once I had done that the Reprap software would not load, so I remembered
noticing that in a previous post someone had set their baud rate to 19200 and the default is 56000.
Once I changed that it all opened up and worked as you would expect.

Good luck.smileys with beer
May 27, 2011 02:46PM
I had already completed all the above. I had assumed it worked since the firmware uploaded. My baud rates all match up.
what method/version of installing the ftdi driver did you use? I went through the device manager and found the driver file (ftdiport) manually, but I noticed there are executables on the ftdi site also. The connection shows up as COM3 in the device manager. I thought it could be a host software issue, but neither repsnapper nor reprap host communicate with the monotronics board. The LED's on the board all seem to light up as they should and it makes a sound when i run the software, just no communication with host software.

thanks
May 27, 2011 04:33PM
sorry I couldnt be of more help.confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login