Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MK3 heated bed: Running 24V to 12V leads?

Posted by costmo 
MK3 heated bed: Running 24V to 12V leads?
December 19, 2019 04:21PM
I am building a 24V printer, and while sourcing parts, I came across this Amazon listing for an MK3 heated bed.:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TCL9OR8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A7Y75ROU9VMVI&psc=1

The product description includes this line:
Running 24V on the 12V terminals will heat up the heatbed to 100 degree in only 2 minutes.

I have never heard of anyone wiring 24V to the 12V terminals, and a Google search didn't help.

Is this a legitimate and safe thing to do? If so, is that true of all MK2/MK3 heated beds with dual power inputs, or is this one unique?

I'm currently facing 6 minutes to reach 100 degrees, so this is enticing, but I am not aware of the drawbacks, nor can I find anyone talking about it.

Thanks!
Re: MK3 heated bed: Running 24V to 12V leads?
December 19, 2019 06:31PM
Don't get confused with a prusa mk2/mk3 heated bed, as that is a different thing... the prusa heated bed is not square like this one.

This bed is designed to be dual voltage, most are not.
The English is dreadful and misleading.

If you notice the table on the top of the bed. this is a wiring diagram.

For 12v you wire +12 to pin1 and gnd to both pins 2 and pin 3
For 24v you wire +24 to pin 2 and gnd to pin 3.

This works as the headed bed is two resistors

____                  ____
 Pin3  ____|2R2 |____  Pin1  ____|2R2 |____ Pin2
           |____|                |____|

When you use 24v connected to pins 2 and 3 the resistors are in series and has a resistance of 4.4 ohms
When you use 12v, the wiring puts the two resistors in parallel resulting is a resistance of 1.1 ohms

You cannot normally put 24v on a 12v bed because it will draw 4 times the current and probably burn out.
4 times the current will probably exceed your power supply current ratings and the current ratings of the driving MOSFETS

Raising the voltage 1-2 volts is often done and helps with heat up times a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2019 09:21PM by Dust.
Re: MK3 heated bed: Running 24V to 12V leads?
December 20, 2019 12:54PM
That’s along the lines of what I was thinking, but with much more detail than I knew how to confirm or deny.

Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login