Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Funky looking graphics

Posted by tony woollacott 
Funky looking graphics
June 18, 2011 10:51AM
Ok, so I have got it all loaded and ready to pull the trigger, but when I load an stl file it comes out looking like something from outer space. I have tried several stls from the wiki and they all do the same thing.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Re: Funky looking graphics
June 18, 2011 04:33PM
What software are you using to do what steps?

June 18, 2011 05:34PM
I downloaded the reprap software from the wiki, and have tried to load stl files that I also got from the wiki. I followed the instructions for placing an stl file and it all seems in order until you look at the part and it is all space age. I tried to do all the same steps on my other PC and get the same result, so it cant be my graphics as the PCs are very different one running XP pro the other XP 64 bit.
June 19, 2011 01:42AM
Are you converting the .stl to Gcode first are are you getting Repsnapper to do the conversion or something else. I personally use Skeinforge to convert my .stl files to Gcode then load them into Repsnapper. It might pay to do a screenshot

June 19, 2011 03:08AM
Here is a snapshot of my screen, as you can see there isnt a resemblance to 'motor cogs' that I can see.
Attachments:
open | download - Funky graphics.odt (159 KB)
June 19, 2011 04:23AM
Fantastic, skeinforge works brilliantly. The X,Y and Z axes are moving great, the extruder motor is not turning though. Could this be because I dont have the hot end on yet? I never explained that I am trying the electronics out, without having the motors mounted on the machine. The extruder works manually.
I am very grateful for the help, thanks NelsonRap. >grinning smiley<
June 19, 2011 03:01PM
That's cool, are you in the UK? That would explain the time diff. I'm in NZ but originally from Kent. Wht's your next step, I'm guessing mounting the motors. Is the extruder motor moving? I found out that when you hit the print button in Repsnapper you need to turn off the heat first.

I'm running it on Windows though

June 20, 2011 04:23AM
Yes I am in Ashford Kent, I also figured you must be on the other side of the world. I want to mount the motors once I am happy with all the electronics doing what I expect it to do. I will have a go at switching the heat off tonight and see if that works.
I also wanted to ask you, how do you position your part/parts before you create the g code in skeinforge, is there a step by step anywhere?
June 20, 2011 05:10AM
You can only create gcode for a single STL file using Skeinforge which you usually center on the bed (for me Center = 100, 100). To create multiple copies you use the Multiply plug-in in Skeinforge. To create an STL file that contains different objects you must use a seperate program such as FreeCAD, KiCAD or any other program that can import/open multiple STL files and then export as a new STL file. This you can then skein using Skeinforge.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
June 20, 2011 03:17PM
I was born raised out at Brabourne and went to school in Ashford.

Well I use Solidworks to create my parts and save them as .stl, however if they are oriented wrongly I flip them using netfabb basic (freeware) as said in the previous post if I need multiples of an object I use the multiply tab in SF, if I want to place several parts together for printing though I create a layout of those parts using Solidworks

June 20, 2011 03:21PM
Thanks for all your help smileys with beer. I have sorted the skeinforge placing of parts etc. and have the extruder motor turning, but it turns very slowly and has no torque, but again is fine in manual mode. Would it be possible to give me snap shots of the various skeinforge screens so I could change the settings to something I know to work.
June 20, 2011 08:16PM
Here are my very latest settings that I am using with SF41 and also how I set up my Gen6 E steps for my extruder

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2011 08:17PM by NelsonRap.

open | download - Gen6 Firmware update.docx (12 KB)
June 21, 2011 02:24AM
Once again, thanks for your help. I will have a go tonight and see what difference it makes.smiling bouncing smiley
June 21, 2011 08:42AM
In your note at the end of the settings page, you say;
''My start code is
G21; metric is good
G90; absolute positioning
G92 X0 Y0 Z0 E0; zero the extruded length axes

My end code is
G91
G1 F70
G1 E-10 F30000; sucks filament back quickly to stop ooze
G1 Z7 F70; lifts nozzle 7mm from finished print surface
G1 F2300
G1 X-100 Y100 F2300; moves print bed out for easy job removal
G90
M104 S0; turns off extruder''

Do you type this in manually or can you do it in the settings?
June 21, 2011 02:57PM
One more thing. I am running with gen3 electronics, does'nt that mean I cant use gen 6 software?
I have changed the settings in skeinforge and the x,y and z axes run beautifully, but the extruder still doesnt run. It turns perfectly at the start of the program, but then stops and jitters in one spot, and also gets quite hot. Could this be to do with the programmed feedrate??confused smiley
Real progress is being made though, and I am very happy!grinning smiley
June 21, 2011 03:30PM
Ignore the instructions for Gen6, I just put them in encase anyone else looks up this thread who might be using Gen6. I honestly don't know about your extruder not going. The start and end codes are typed out in 2 seperate wordpad or notepad documents and saved in (mine is here)

C-users-my name-skeinforge-alterations

I have called them Gary start.Gcode and Gary end.Gcode

On the preface tab it says name of end file and so in the box I have typed Gary end.Gcode and in the name of start file I have Gary start.Gcode

hope this all makes sense

Click here to login