Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Operating System

Posted by bajasam96 
Operating System
June 29, 2011 04:59PM
It appears that most people out there are running Linux systems? Without getting python and the like, how well should the following setup work-

RAMPS v1.3 electronics
Solidworks for the models (easily converts to/from .stl)
what appears to be the "official" reprap software
kliment sprinter "Tonokip" firmware

Should this all be compatible with one another? Should I expect any surprises?
Re: Operating System
June 29, 2011 09:15PM
Should work. Add Kliment's Printrun to the list. You would probably want to use Pronterface in Printrun. Find it in Github.

Another alternative to Solidworks is OpenSCAD. It's free and since a lot of stuff in Thingiverse and elsewhere are in this format, it's worth downloading and learning how to use.

I think there are also a lot of Windows and Mac users.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2011 09:16PM by brnrd.
June 30, 2011 02:54AM
Developers have a tendency to Linux, just-users prefer Windows smiling smiley

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 30, 2011 02:42PM
Typical, I'm pretty familiar with microcontrollers, especially the Arduino brand, but the thought of having to do anything via linux makes me loose sleep.

Am I correct in thinking that Printrun is what will be generating the actual g-code from the .stl? I was under the impression that the reprap software had this built in? What am I missing?
June 30, 2011 03:49PM
Printrun is used to control the printer and to send g-codes for printing. It includes command line options, but the one I use is the GUI based Pronterface. Skeinforge is what generates g-codes from the STL file. Both are written in Python. You can actually run Skeinforge from Pronterface if you place the Skeinforge folder inside the Printrun folder. This is similar to ReplicatorG which was written for the Makerbot but can also be used on Repraps.

The Reprap host is another software from the original developer of the Reprap that can generate g-code, control the printer and send g-codes for printing. It is written in Java. Unfortunately, it's a bit buggy and it doesn't work as well as Skeinforge in generating g-code. Printrun combined with Skeinforge does the same as the Reprap Host and ReplicatorG expect it doesn't have a way to arrange the parts on the bed.

Another software that functions the same way is Repsnapper. It was written in C++. It has a very good interface for arranging and visualizing the part on the bed and showing the toolpath. But it doesn't do a good a job as Skeinforge and it's g-code generation is also buggy.
July 01, 2011 12:32AM
"but the thought of having to do anything via linux makes me loose sleep. "

So you don't have any router/cell phone/copier machine around you running Linux, or do you you never sleep? tongue sticking out smiley

The reprap software is able to create gcode files from .stl, but the quality is nothing near what I get from skeinforge

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
July 01, 2011 11:41PM
You don't have to run Linux, I'm running an original Mendel on XP using Repsnapper and on my main desktop I use Solidworks to do drawings since it's part of my job anyway, and I use Skeinforge41 to create my Gcode all on Windows 7.

I then send the Gcode over my network to the XP machine (a really old Pentium4) that runs the printer

July 02, 2011 09:12AM
The only benefit, if you want to call it that, of using Linux, or OS X, over Windows is that you will find that software like Repsnapper is more actively developed, because it is easier to port between these two platforms.

Software like Skeinforge, Pronterface, and others based on Python, are multi-platform by definition, and the Arduino IDE, needed for configuring and updating Sprinter and other firmware out there, is Java-based, and also multi-platform.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login