Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using RFO with Skeinforge

Posted by rankbajin 
Using RFO with Skeinforge
July 05, 2011 07:58AM
Hi All,

Can someone please explain the format of the legend.xml file within the RFO files please?
Specifically what the values in the Transform3D fields correspond to .

I would like to use the RFO files which come with the mendel models but I would also like to use Skeinforge .

At the moment I am thinking that my best approach would be to write a script to convert the legend.xml into an openscad file which I can then export as a single STL and run this through Skeinforge.

Obviously I would be really happy if there is already a flow for this since it's always nice to have someone else do the work for you but I can't find anything in the forums or anywhere else.

thanks
RB
Re: Using RFO with Skeinforge
July 05, 2011 08:30AM
See MultipleMaterialsFiles, example legend.xml and RFO.java.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 05, 2011 08:43AM
Bob,

Thanks for the info, I had already found these files though and unfortunately what they don't do is explain the Transform matrix and what effect the various rows and columns have on a model .

Interestingly the RFO files only seem to work in reprap host software and not in Repsnapper although the latter also has an option for reading RFO files.

Do you know where there is any documentation on the Transform matrix ?

thanks
RB
July 05, 2011 09:06AM
It is a "4x4 homogeneous transform", see Wikipedia for more info.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
July 05, 2011 04:01PM
What advantage is there in using the RFO as compared to the .stl files?

July 06, 2011 01:05AM
RFO is nothing more than a collection of .stl files with a transform matrix associated with each one compressed into a zip file (renamed as .rfo), ergo the titile of the wiki page MultipleMaterialsFiles.
This is supported by the RepRap Host (and RepSnapper AFAIK) and allows creating a print plate out of seperate STL files.
Skeinforge does not currently support RFO files so, if you want to do the same thing using Skeinforge you must first use some software to load and position all of the desired objects (STL files) and then export as a single STL file that can then be processed by Skeinforge.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login