Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Make RepStrap from CNC Advices are welcome!

Posted by Ali Akdurak 
Make RepStrap from CNC Advices are welcome!
July 06, 2011 02:26AM
Hello Everyone
I am starting to work to convert or CNC to a RepStrap by attaching it an extruder. I have ordered a complete extruder online from a very good site with good customer care. PM me if you want to learn the company.

My plan is to change this CNC into a repstrap so that I can began building my Mendel. I am also aware of the Isaac system but decided that our company also gets benefits from this conversion. We don't really use the CNC that much anymore. It was running with software Mach3 to send GCodes to the CNC controller.

My questions are:
1- Do I need to build a motherboard and complete electronic set to use the RepRap Software for printing.
2- Does RepRap Software create plain GCodes that can also be read by the Mach3 so that it can perform the operation.
3- What about the extruder control. It must be completely different from Mill controll codes right ?

It is sad that wiki site about this conversion is really uninformative and unfinished. If possible I will document my process to somewhere to write it to wiki when it's finished.

Thanks!
Ali Akdurak
İzmir / Turkey

Edit: I also added a photo of my available tools for reference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2011 02:30AM by Ali Akdurak.
VDX
Re: Make RepStrap from CNC Advices are welcome!
July 06, 2011 02:45AM
Hi Ali,

check here: [forums.reprap.org]

I'm repstrapping my Isel-CNC-mill by replacing the Isel controller with an Arduino Electronic (actually Mega 2560 with RAMPS) and GRRF-Extruder with my own heater and temperature controller.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 06, 2011 05:16AM
My CNC is a little bit more problematic to change electronics as it has high powered step motors or this is what I think. I am not sure if pololu step drivers I Intent to build can drive these high watt step motors. If I changed the electronics to a ardunio mega as I planned for my own system. It will be problematic to change it back after I made my parts.
VDX
July 06, 2011 06:36AM
... i didn't change the drivers - simply replaced the Interface, as the connection to the motor drivers (as most common) is made by TTL-level signals DIR, STEP and ENABLE.

I have other stepper drivers with up to 325VAC voltage, but all are controlled by TTL (or 5Volt) signals, what's connected to the corresponding pins on Gen3 or RAMPS boards.

Changing back is made by replacing the interface board carrying the Gen3-Motherboard (or only connectors for the RAMPS) with the original Isel-board in 5 seconds ... exchanging the extruder with the millhead (or laserhead) takes one or two minutes more.

As i didn't made any changes to reference-/endswitches it's that simple winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2011 06:38AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 06, 2011 06:53AM
It seems logical to make this kind of a conversion. I will buy the electronics anyway. I should check Motherboard - Step Dirver connections

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2011 08:07AM by Ali Akdurak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login