Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z-Axis Pulsing

Posted by bajasam96 
Z-Axis Pulsing
July 16, 2011 02:11AM
My Z axis pulses, I don't know how else to describe it.

It runs fine for a distance, then begins to pulse. Its not loosing direction but no longer moving in any smooth fashion.

I have tried changing the min/max speeds and feedrates as well as varying the pot on the driver, and come up with nothing. It didnt seem to do this before, so Im assuming Ive changed something to cause this.

Any ideas?

Im using Tonokip firmware with RepSnapper and just performing manual movements trying to dial in the calibration
Re: Z-Axis Pulsing
July 16, 2011 05:25AM
For one, it's always interesting which type of electronics you're using.

For two, this sounds like a overheating stepper driver. Reduce the current and see wether it gets better. If yes, and you need the current to avoid step losses (unlikely on the Z axis), mount a heatsink.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 16, 2011 12:45PM
Good point, Its running RAMPS 1.3 with
Drivers
Motors

The drivers have heatsinks and a small computer case fan blowing across them. The Z-current is pretty high, but the driver only gets warm to the touch.
July 16, 2011 08:29PM
If the over-current protection is kicking in, the driver won't get hot. Over-current causes the pulsing you are experienceing. Take a magnifying glass, and have a look at the trim pot on the Pololu for the Z-Axis, looking for the flat spot on the side of the trim. It can rotate from the 7:00 to 5:00 position. It should be between 8:00 and 10:00. You don't need more than this.
July 16, 2011 08:51PM
Well that took care of it nicely. I thought I had checked that...
Not sure about your clock reference, but I turned the pot to 50%~60% of its travel and it works like a champ.

Thanks for the help
July 16, 2011 09:54PM
7:00 = South West
5:00 = South East
8:00 to 10:00 = West

Your 50%-60% = North (This is probably too much, but does not usually cause overheating on z axis, since it is off when idle).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login