Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Norfolk [UK] Prusa parts sourcing

Posted by Bluesteel 
Norfolk [UK] Prusa parts sourcing
August 08, 2011 01:09PM
Hello, I’m Julian from Norfolk, UK and I’ve just taken the plunge and started collecting parts to make my first RepRap Prusa, but have run into sourcing problems.

I’ve managed to order the hardware parts from what looks like a good eBay seller, but can’t find any sources for the printed/plastic parts or electronics/motors in the UK. I’ve looked around sellers on the Forum and the online UK 3d Printer shops I could find, but many don’t list them or if they do they are out of stock all the time.

Can anyone point me towards a good UK supplier? If there’s a national parts shortage, when and if I get mine working, I’d be happy to produce a few part sets for others too.

Thanks.
Re: Norfolk [UK] Prusa parts sourcing
August 10, 2011 02:40AM
I've been doing the same over the last few days.

If you read the wiki you will get links to places to buy like Zappautomation but I ordered yesterday the steppers from thingfarm in the uk and I've got a set of plastics from Nophead on eBay. Only after getting these have I realised that his parts are considered very good, I'd send him a PM and reserve yourself a set.winking smiley

I'll keep an eye out on here as we will be at a similar point as my build will not start until the 18th!

What electronics are you going for?

Andrew

Based in Slough, United Kingdom
August 10, 2011 04:14AM
Hi Andrew, you're the second person to suggest sourcing from Nophead, who seems to have a good reputation here on the Forum. If I can't get a set from RepRap Ltd in the next few days I may well drop him a PM.

As for the electronics, I'm in research mode at the moment and am tending towards RAMPS 1.3 or possibly the new 1.4 as advertised elsewhere on the Forum.

Julian

Based in Downham Market
August 10, 2011 04:35AM
Bluesteel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Andrew, you're the second person to suggest
> sourcing from Nophead, who seems to have a good
> reputation here on the Forum. If I can't get a set
> from RepRap Ltd in the next few days I may well
> drop him a PM.
>
> As for the electronics, I'm in research mode at
> the moment and am tending towards RAMPS 1.3 or
> possibly the new 1.4 as advertised elsewhere on
> the Forum.
>
> Julian
>

I tried Reprap ltd but no luck, are you aware that all their parts are PLA but Nophead uses ABS on the parts some consider need it, like I said I've only really found out that I've made a good choice AFTER I ordered them.

Electronics wise your looing at the same as e, I've just pre-ordered a 1.4 kit.

All I have left is a heated bed and my hot end to sort, I could probably fabricate the extruded but I'm leaning towards a 'standard' hot end so I have a better chance of being helped with problem solving.

Be nice to see a larger active UK user group
August 14, 2011 02:46PM
Now my Prusa is starting to take shape, the plastics and metals are coming together quite nicely, I need to think about motors and electrics.

Does anyone know any good UK sources for the RAMPS/Gen6/Sanguino etc? Those I've found so far are either mainland Europe or USA, it would be nice to be able to source entirely within the UK.

Julian

Downham Market, Norfolk, UK.
August 17, 2011 02:05AM
Have you guys checked out eMakerShop.com yet?

ISTAR Scope Club
August 17, 2011 04:17AM
BoriSpider Wrote:
> Have you guys checked out eMakerShop.com yet?

Yes, but no RAMPS/Gen 6 or other sets of Electronics from the UK on there at the moment.

Julian

September 06, 2011 08:03AM
I too could not find the electronic set I wanted from a UK supplier so got the ramps 1.3 from [xyzprinters.com] in Holand. It took 5 days to arrive and seems fine, all clearly labeled parts.
Perhaps there is a market for a UK supply group?
September 06, 2011 01:01PM

Perhaps there is a market for a UK supply group?

What's the point of having local markets? Especially, if suppliers and customers are both in the European Community, so customs isn't an isuue.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

September 07, 2011 03:45AM
Traumflug Wrote:
> Perhaps there is a market for a UK supply group?
>
> What's the point of having local markets?
> Especially, if suppliers and customers are both in
> the European Community, so customs isn't an isuue.

1. Less expensive shipping costs
2. Far faster delivery
3. If there are any issues on large purchases it's easier to get redress locally - although of course this is somehow mitigated if purchases are made via PayPal
4. It gives more options for RepRap builders

For me it mostly the speed of delivery. So far my experience is from Europe 1-3 weeks, from the UK 1-3 days.
Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to source from anywhere within the EU if timing is not an issue, but if I need something quickly I'll look for a UK source first.

Julian

September 07, 2011 05:24AM
It shouldn't take 1-3 weeks from Europe. It's faster than that from Hong Kong. Should be about 4 days and cost are not much more than within the UK.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 07, 2011 06:46AM
nophead Wrote:
> It shouldn't take 1-3 weeks from Europe. It's
> faster than that from Hong Kong. Should be about 4
> days and cost are not much more than within the
> UK.

That's what I would have thought too. But in practice it's taken longer and cost more. Of course that's just my personal experience, but that's all I have to go on...

It's also slightly psychological too, as all those I've ordered parts from in the UK have been very reasonably priced and lightning fast with delivery - including you Nophead smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2011 06:49AM by Bluesteel.

Julian

September 20, 2011 10:36AM
Small issue I came across was finding a few M3 taps at a reasonable price, most are about £6 each.
Anyhow i got a set of 3 from modelfixings.co.uk for less than £9 with postage, I bought the M3.5 tap set after reading Nopheads blog on hobbing a bolt. Hope to get them done this weekend.
September 22, 2011 08:32AM
jtribe, did you try ebay? I picked up a twin pack of M3 taps for a very reasonable price (although I don't remember how much now, it was way less than £6 each)
September 22, 2011 01:35PM
I did look, but for some reason seemed to think the modelfixings was cheaper, Old age is addling my brain I suppose and being Welsh im as tight as a ducks down feathers on silly things ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login