Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Electronics, is this all I need?

Posted by celtictrinityknot 
Electronics, is this all I need?
September 01, 2011 12:34PM
Hi,

I am in the process of getting all the materials needed to make a printer, the frame is easy for me, but I want to be sure I get all the electronics/cables needed. Most of the videos I found are about the printer build not board build. I've got all the stepper motors bought. I am looking at a gen6 pre-assembled board from ebay because I dont have any soldering experience. If I have it right this board will cover all connections needed no shield or other boards needed? All I will need is an extruder, wires and it looks like theres a place to solder an sd card on the board if I want?

Thanks for the help.
Re: Electronics, is this all I need?
September 01, 2011 08:15PM
Gen6 will drive everything on a standard reprap except the heated bed. If you intend to go beyond that then you might want to look at RAMPS, which is a single shield on an Arduino Mega which can drive everything Gen6 can drive, plus a heated bed and I think a second extruder on the more recent versions, and still has plenty of IO pins left for further expansion. If you just want it to work out of the box, buy Gen6.
Re: Electronics, is this all I need?
September 06, 2011 07:46AM
Items I overlooked are the heating elements for the hot end, and a power supply? have you got those covered yet?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login