Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

techzone electronics question

Posted by ksmith5135 
techzone electronics question
September 27, 2011 01:27PM
I have just completed my Mendel which uses the Techzone gen3 remix electronics. I have been unable to get the host software on my WinXP workstation to connect to the printer. The Arduino IDE connects just fine and uploads the firmware but I get problems with both Repsnapper and Pronterface when I try to connect.

From Pronterface I get a "cannot open port COM1, access is denied" message and from Repsnapper I get a "connection attempt timed out" message. I have tried using both COM1 and COM3 with the same results.

I had to manually load the driver for the USB/TTY interface board and I noticed that there were two of them. One was a VCP driver (sets up a virtual com port) and the other was a D2XX driver (allows direct connection using a dll). I used the VCP driver but perhaps I should have used the other one.

Can anyone clarify this for me? I had all 3 axis moving correctly with the Reprap Host software on my old Linux machine but I never had to load drivers for it. They were already present.

Kevin

Always use the right tool for the job, and the right tool for every job is a hammer.
Note - the above is not true but some days it feels like it's true.

[kevins3dprinter.blogspot.com]
Re: techzone electronics question
September 27, 2011 01:47PM
The VCP driver is the correct one to use.
Do you have your firmware and host software set to the same baudrate?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Re: techzone electronics question
September 27, 2011 01:52PM
Yes, they are both set to 19,200.

I mentioned that I had this working on Linux with the Reprap software so I should clarify that I have not been able to get the Reprap host software working on the windows machine. I suspect some mismatch in the versions of Java but I didn't bother pursuing is since both Pronterface and Repsnapper were available for Python.

My old Linux machine has died with multiple causes that make it uneconomical to repair, which precipitated the current crisis.

Kevin

Always use the right tool for the job, and the right tool for every job is a hammer.
Note - the above is not true but some days it feels like it's true.

[kevins3dprinter.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login