Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking not finding, how to test a thermistor

Posted by Flyer 
Looking not finding, how to test a thermistor
October 12, 2015 09:50PM
I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I still can't figure out how to test my hot end thermistor. I pulled it out of the hot end, and now I have it. I have very limited electronics knowledge, and have looked everywhere (YouTube too) and can't get what I'm supposed to get. I've got multimeter in hand...and don't know where to go..I think the termistor is fried and have ordered 5 more, but I don't know how to check the input pins on the board either. Any help....I know most of you have explained this before...would be appreciated. Search has yielded lots of info, but nothing definitive about actually using the multimeter to test the thermistor. Continuity??? Ohms??? Temperature?????
Re: Looking not finding, how to test a thermistor
October 12, 2015 10:18PM
Here's a blurb from the reprap wiki

Thermistors used in RepRap machines are typically 100Kohm at 25C Negative Temperature Coefficient (NTC) temperature sensitive resistors. Basic troubleshooting of a thermistor is to measure its resistance at room temperature, and compare it to the rated 100K resistance. If it is significantly smaller there may be some sort of short. If significantly larger, it make be an open circuit.

[reprap.org]

You should just set the meter to resistance (ohms) and put one lead on each leg of the thermistor. If you get open or a short it's bad. If it's good the resistance should change with temperature.

If you need more info on using the meter maybe post a model or a picture of the meter. If it's a digital one it should be pretty simple to just measure resistance.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
Re: Looking not finding, how to test a thermistor
October 13, 2015 01:10AM
Thanks, I tried that, but got nothing out of the meter. I'm thinking I killed the thermistor. I just don't have any experience with this, so I don't know what "broken" looks like...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login