Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Little help buying things

Posted by jkry2121 
Little help buying things
April 06, 2015 10:02PM
I had a Solidoodle 3 I believe when it came out. Looking at an i3 Prusa now. I'm only looking at it for the price. I'd like to be able to have a big print bed, dual extruders, flexible fabric.
So heres the printer. I want everyone to know its not the one I'm gonna buy (maybe) its just the cheapest i3 I found.
[www.ebay.com]

Dual extruder, same deal
[www.ebay.com]

Big bed
[store.bqreaders.com]

Flex
[www.gyrobot.co.uk]

Would like to be told if Im crazy or this is possible.
Re: Little help buying things
April 07, 2015 05:41AM
The picture in the first link is not an i3, the description says i3 so it is a little unclear what you would get. If you got the printer in the picture then the extended bed parts would not fit without some major rework.

The following is an i3 with acrylic frame as described I the text.

[www.ebay.com]
April 07, 2015 06:17PM
With that kit will everything work? Id love to have a fully assembled one because I have college full time and I work fulltime. I've also got to build a new PC for this printer so I dont want it to take 3 years for me to finish smiling smiley
April 07, 2015 06:59PM
As mentioned by ICon the ebay printer you linked to is not a Prusa i3, it's a Prusa i2.
The i3 is an improvement over the i2 so I wouldn't recommend it - plus the extended bed won't fit it.

For the dual extruder you would want to make sure you can find an adapter for the printer you build/buy. Also with a dual extruder you will lose some width in print size.

The large bed looks like it is a drop in replacement for the i3, however it doesn't look like it's a heated bed so you won't be able to print with ABS

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
April 07, 2015 11:11PM
No but I will be able to print flex on it. Will that extruder print flexible like I linked? I want a dual extruder with flex.
April 08, 2015 03:09AM
jkry2121
No but I will be able to print flex on it. Will that extruder print flexible like I linked? I want a dual extruder with flex.

Sorry I have no idea, I suggest you contact geeetech sales/suppor to find out.

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
April 11, 2015 03:55AM
The problem you;ll have is mounting the dual extruder shown in the pic on an i3 . They appear to be mounted on a single alu bracket that puts them side by side. Fitting that to an i3 could be a challenge.
The trick is ( with all printers) to keep the mass/weight (stepper motor(s) ) as close as possible to the smooth rods/ linear bearings that "carry" the load. That can be tricky on a i3 where the X axis smooth rods are vertical ( ie above each other) as apposed to horizontal (next to each other ala i2, Mendel etc)
Either way you will reduce your print size options as the physical size of the extruder(s) limits the x axis travel.

The extruder itself looks like it would do the job with flex filament but you need to be sure there is sufficient roller pressure adjustment so accommodate flex filament which can be quite tricky to get right.

I understand your goal is dual / flex printing but i would advise you to stick to single to start with and get some experience with 3D printing in general and "get to know" your machine first.
The Folger tech kit looks damn good value for money in my book. You.d be hard pushed to buy the individual components for the same price.
Adding a second extruder later isnt too difficult

Good luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login