Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FolgerTech Z-axis only moving in -ve dir

Posted by chdeviprasad 
FolgerTech Z-axis only moving in -ve dir
May 16, 2015 05:43AM
Hello All,

I did the assembly and configuration of FolgerTech Prusa I3 as per the manual. Now I am trying to test movement along three axes using the Repetier Manual control. X and Y axes are working fine. (Had to change INVERT_X_DIR from false to true, to make it move from left to right) . But the Z axis is only moving in one direction (i.e -ve dir in Repetier) and doesn't move in +ve dir ( i get errors like " echo:endstops hit: Z:-20.00 " in Repetier Logs)

If INVERT_Z_DIR = true then it moves down but doesn't go up
If INVERT_Z_DIR = false then it moves up but doesn't go down

Attached the configuration file. My endstops are located as follows :
X-axis : To the right
Y-Axis : At the back , to the right
Z-Axis : Bottom , to the left

Also I hear a hissing noise as soon the Z axis motors start moving. And this noise keeps coming, until I hit "Emergency Stop" or "Disconnect "and "Connect" in Repetier. I dont hear this noise, while moving X or Y axis..
I have searched on this forum and other sites and found people reporting issues with Z-axis movement and i tried few solutions suggested for them. But none of them worked for me.

This is my first experience with 3D printer. It would be very helpful, if you can suggest ways to solve my problems.

Regards,
Prasad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2015 05:45AM by chdeviprasad.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (16.1 KB)
Re: FolgerTech Z-axis only moving in -ve dir
May 16, 2015 12:02PM
Did you try to switch the z stepper cable to the x- or y-driver? See, if it works then...

Maybe you need to "home" the rrinter before you can move all axis? ( just guessing )
-Olaf
May 16, 2015 08:11PM
Sounds like you have a home, location issue

First let's start with your home position
X_HOME_DIR - this should be set to MAX if your endstop is on the right as you look at the front of the printer
Y_HOME_DIR - this should be set to MIN if your endstop is at the back of the bed
Z_HOME_DIR - this should be set to MIN if you endstop is at the bottom of the axis

0,0,0 should bed the front right of your build plate, you can get the printer working with this set wrong, but may find you get mirrored prints, so it is most important to get this right first.

Once you have the home position set correctly, then you need to make sure that your axis home when told to.
May 20, 2015 01:51AM
Thank for the suggestions. Sorry for late response , I was occupied with other things and couldn't spend time on this till yesterday. After doing the following things, my axes are moving correctly and they are homing perfectly every time.

1) First to keep things simpler, i moved all end stops to their respective MIN positions

X-axis : To the left
Y-Axis : At the back , to the right
Z-Axis : Bottom , to the left

2) Correctly wired all the end stops on to the ramps at MIN positions (1, 3, 5)

3) Modified the Configuration.h and set the endstops and axis directions as follows

#define INVERT_X_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true

#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

After this change, all axes seemed to be moving only in -ve directions and for all positive moves i was getting " echo:endstops hit:" .

4) Searching the forum, i found few threads discussing similar issues. As suggested in them, i tested with command 'M119' in repetier and got the following response

18:21:21.616 : Reporting endstop status
18:21:21.616 : x_min: open
18:21:21.616 : x_max: TRIGGERED
18:21:21.616 : y_min: open
18:21:21.616 : y_max: TRIGGERED
18:21:21.616 : z_min: open
18:21:21.616 : z_max: TRIGGERED

5) Went to Configuration.h and uncommented the below line. (Any idea why this was commented in the first place ? )
//#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS

6) Testing again with M119, i got

18:23:25.839 : Reporting endstop status
18:23:25.839 : x_min: open
18:23:25.839 : y_min: open
18:23:25.839 : z_min: open

After this axes were moving correctly in both directions and were homing perfectly.

Now, i am working on the extruder. Initially the extruder motor was not spinning in any direction.I was just hearing some clicking noise and vibrations. This was same when i connected it to X-axis stepper drivers. So, i unscrewed the extruder assembly and then the motor was spinning correctly in positive direction (was still just clicking in reverse dir). Maybe the screws were holding the motor shaft too tight and preventing it from spinning. Hence i again fit the screws with just the required tightness to hold the extruder together and this time extruder was working fine . The filament was being extruded . Just did some basic extrusion test.

Next, I plan to try to print some test object and do any necessary calibrations. Attached my current Configuration.h file.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 01:51AM by chdeviprasad.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (16 KB)
May 23, 2015 04:28AM
"as per the manual" ? That's your first mistake right there, smiling smiley I've been through the same frustrations with the Folger I3. This is my first printer build too. The manual doesn't get you all the way there, and can sometimes be misleading. I've been keeping a build log and will post my cheat sheet soon. It's long.

You will get "endstop hit" errors if you don't home first. Once it knows home, it will move normally. And I generally have to home each axis every time I connect from Repetier.

As for the extruder, mine was turning in the wrong direction, and I had to change false to true here, since it's direct drive:

#define INVERT_E0_DIR false // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false

The guys at Folger are very responsive and helpful, so email them with any problems you have. They want to get you up and running. You'll usually get a response within a few hours.
November 08, 2015 07:23AM
i have same isshue but on y-axis some one plz help me
November 08, 2015 07:25AM
i have same proble im my printer only move one direction on y axis ,what can i do
November 11, 2015 10:49AM
sallop
i have same isshue but on y-axis some one plz help me

Like was said above, make sure you HOME first or the machine doesn't know where it is and will only go in the direction where it thinks the endstop is located. Beyond that, you haven't given enough information to really get any help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login