Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X carriage STL for Greg's adapter?

Posted by foul_owl 
X carriage STL for Greg's adapter?
June 08, 2015 08:16PM
Hi folks,

I'm trying to print a replacement x carriage. I downloaded and built the i3 sources, but it looks like there are a few issues with the x carriage.

Here is the result:
[imgur.com]

This is the part I was expecting:
[greymatterdroppings.com]
(except the holes should be rounded, not hex)

My issues are:
1. The asymmetry is somewhat maddening. Is there a functional reason for it?
2. The holes are supposed to be round, not hex. I have the greg's adapter, which has the nuts embedded in the part, so the bolts are supposed to go from the opposite side than the hex holes imply. Unless there is a part that has supplanted the Greg's adapter? I can modify the part so it has round hole, but I feel like I am missing something obvious here.

The way the belt attaches looks better than the original part though. smiling smiley

Thanks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2015 08:33PM by foul_owl.
Re: X carriage STL for Greg's adapter?
June 08, 2015 08:34PM
The "vanilla" Prusa i3 files are here:
[github.com]

Under the distribution folder you'll find the x-carriage stl file.
It has hex holes, though on our first i3 vanilla build we put the nuts in the adapter and m3 bolts from the bearing side of the carriage.

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
June 09, 2015 01:33AM
Ahhh ok thank you! What's the difference between vanilla and what I thought was the official repo?

Thanks!!
June 14, 2015 05:40AM
Looks like there are a few improvements with the "official" over "vanilla". Has anyone used both of these? What has been your experience?

Thanks!
June 14, 2015 10:28AM
@ foul_owl

You can, if you want, use this design: [www.thingiverse.com]

It uses four LM8UU bearings instead of three and consequently there is less play, but a little bit more friction than with the standard Prusa i3 vanilla carriage (which is also very good). It also provides more extruder mounting holes, so you can try different extruder designs if you want to. And finally, the GT2 belt "teeth" are better designed or print out better - in my experience - than with other competing designs. As usual, YMMV.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login