Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa3d.com i3 kit?

Posted by petteri 
Prusa3d.com i3 kit?
October 16, 2015 08:20AM
I am trying to decide what would be my first 3d printer. I would prefer a kit with good quality and reasonable easy setup. So I ruled out all those super cheap Chinese kits. The [www.prusa3d.com] kit looks pretty good to me based on the parts list and instructions but obviously it is more expensive. What are the downsides of this kit? I saw someone criticising the use of threaded bar for base, how important that is? Also, it seems to use RAMBo mini, so possible upgrade dual extruder setup would require controller change?

Have I missed something? Any other points to consider?

Thanks!
Re: Prusa3d.com i3 kit?
October 16, 2015 04:02PM
That kit is by Josef Prusa, the designer and core developer of the Prusa i3. It appears you would get a real E3D v6 meaning you could print most thermoplastics, My Prusa i3 uses threaded rods for the frame of my Prusa which works fine. Most of the issues people have with threaded rods is for the use of them a Z axis motion rods. This is ok as long as they are not bent which is how most Chinese kits come. This kit appears to use them but includes bearings at the top of the frame to minimize movement. I am using threaded rods and it seems to work fine for me.

With the Rambo mini you will have to upgrade the controller if you want to go dual extruders. However you will probably find you are ok with single extruders.

I would send an email to the company with a question about the kit and see how long it takes them to respond. With the price of the printer you should expect to be able to get good customer service that will help you through your build.

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
October 17, 2015 07:08AM
Besides the steel plate instead of frame rods, the Createc steel i3 that I use also has steel X carriage, and LCD-in-frame, which i prefer:
[forums.reprap.org]
October 22, 2015 04:23AM
Hi,

Jo Prusa's kit uses some quality components (frame, extruder, hotend, cases...),
and you buy a Prusa from Prusa himself ! You realy support open source development.

OTOH, most of rework improvements are ignored :
belt tensioning, Xcarriage, anti Zwobble, anti backlash,10mm rods, ACME screws...
The Rambo is overtaken by 32 bits boards like Smoothieboard, Ramps FD, Radds, Duet...
Actualy, some kits gives you more for the same money.

++JM
October 22, 2015 06:02AM
Createc looks good but they have no steel version in stock at the moment. I'm checking other steel kits (orballoprinting, kitprinter3d and repparts3d) with idea of using improvements of the Toolson edition.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login