Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nuts not staying in place....in X axis mounts.

Posted by Flyer 
Nuts not staying in place....in X axis mounts.
October 24, 2015 11:44PM
I took my Folgertech v3 apart yesterday and hotglued the nuts into the X axis mounts. Today, they managed to come out again. I'm missing something. I tried to put springs between 2 M5 nuts on each Z axis drive rods, but then, the nuts, and the springs just popped out. The problem is that when they slip out of the X axis bracket, they can't drive the bracket up and down for Z axis commands. Can someone give me a better explanation of the spring mod, or beside taking the who thing apart and hot gluing the nuts back in place, perhaps a workable solution?? If I can get the nuts to hold long enough, I intend to print the Z axis backlash pieces I've seen. Thanks
Re: Nuts not staying in place....in X axis mounts.
October 25, 2015 04:28AM
I printed a lot of nice pieces with my Prusa I3 without the springloaded M5 threads.
Try printing without z-lift during retraction. That's the only moment, where backlash would be problematic. ( smooth moving linear guides are mandatory of course )
-Olaf
October 25, 2015 10:26AM
If the weight of the X axis carriage is not enough to keep the nuts up in their holes then you have misalignment of your Z rods IMHO. If you disconnect the threaded rods from the motor couplings, the X carriage should drop down to the print plate. DON'T BREAK THE GLASS!

The other possibility > did you ever make certain that both X carriages are EXACTLY the same distance from the base? You could have one side higher and creating a binding condition.
October 26, 2015 05:26AM
In my case the z rods were catching on the x motor and idler parts lifting them up or getting stuck. Make sure the holes are large enough and without debris. Don't glue them in place though, if the head crashes the force could break stuff. If there's considerable side ways tension on the rods then it's out of alignment, move the x parts until the z rods fall natually along the smooth rods without them sticking out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login