Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

P3Steel Logresse

Posted by petteri 
P3Steel Logresse
November 16, 2015 05:06PM
While ago I heard about this improved version of P3Steel - what do you think? More supports and less plastic parts. I do not understand much French but at least the instruction PDF looks good. Maybe after finishing my P3Steel V2.5 build I'll consider this... :-)

[www.logre.eu]
[www.logre.eu]
Re: P3Steel Logresse
November 19, 2015 06:52AM
Hi petteri,

I speak french fluently, I could read all.
I think there's some good and bad in this printer.
Less plastic parts is maybe good for sustainability and maybe precision,
but this will not please the reprap fans who think a reprap should be mostly printable.

First, the engineering looks good, and the steel frame is not a bad point.
The whole frame should be more heavy than the P3Steel.
But there's a lot of steel parts, and that won't be cheap to get unless you have access to a powerfull cutter.
The assembly uses a lot of hardware and that won't be cheap too.

I'm not sure steel framed cartesian printers are the holly graal of 3D printing.
Steel have weak points, it captures heat and transmit vibrations easily. It's heavy.
Even wood frames do makes good printers. Aluminium too.
You'll be able to make a good frame out of glass, marble or concrete if you like.
As it is well engineered, it's not about raw material.

There's a fashion about steel frames actualy. Kinda oposite way facing the rubbish acrylic frames sold by numbers.
But IMHO it won't probably sustain in its actual form because of the complicated toolpath for the cutter,
the weight of the frame parts that makes shipping expensive, the lack of local people able to cut it.
The Wanhao approach of the metal frame seems more interesting to me.
A clip-in and fix with epoxy glue frame can replace a lot of missemployed hardware.
There were the Tron CNC who was assembled with epoxy glue by the past, great idea !
But look at the simplicity/cost of the SmartRapCore frame instead of steel ones.
And don't get it wrong, that babies print good winking smiley

As you already have a steel framed cartesian printer, even if it delighted you,
what about building something totaly different out of aluminium (delta) or even wood (CoreXY) ?
You'll probably grow and understand more about other materials and other architectures.
Some may be able to print taller things or to print faster or simply differently.

++JM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 06:53AM by J-Max.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login