Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Printer

Posted by JD42 
First Printer
November 18, 2015 03:29PM
Hi guys, i have recently been given a 3D printer (prusa i3) by a friend of mine (lucky me right), i have read many posts about how cheap kits etc are bad and hard to manage. (i think this one was cheap but it has made some quality prints)

most of the posts mention these types of kits require "necessary upgrades" is there a definitive list of these upgrades or is it just a case of suck it and see?

the printer i have has a wooden frame, threaded rod and belts for the XYZ movements i assume these would be the first to go?

it also seems to need clamping or screwing down as it doesn't seem to sit flat, i assume this isn't normal?

it judders when manually jogging the X and Y as well which seem dodgey.

i know it prints ive seen it doing so, i just feel it could be so much better and am wondering if you experts can offer me any advice on a starting point.

i will obviously know more when i get it set up and running but just wanted some ideas and how i can improve it?

never 3d printed before so this is new territory for me, would ask my pal that had it before but he's a super busy guy.

i know people hate noob posts like this and i do apologise but i am trying to do my own research too just thought id be cheeky and ask for little help and advice to get me going!

thanks in advance
Re: First Printer
November 18, 2015 08:38PM
You should post pictures.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
November 19, 2015 04:22AM
Hi guys,

JD42, no problem, we were all newbies someday.

I'm not sure transmission is the first step to go.
The weakest point on cheap printers is mostly extrusion.
But cheap does not always means rubbish.

You must understand that probably no i3 are identical.
To own an i3 only means you've got a cartesian printer.
We need to know more about your machine to help you further.
I agree with msaeger, post pictures of your printer, overall views (front, back, sides) and focus on important points (extrusion, electronics, motors (ref if you can find)...).
We need to get as much informations as you can provide.
I whish your printer have some good points, maybe the wood frame is one of them.

++JM
January 02, 2016 11:41AM

January 02, 2016 11:42AM
Sorry about the awkward angles and clutter. Its in my uncles very messy workshop at the moment while i get a workbench sorted at mine.

Can anyone tell me anything from these pictures?

Ta
January 02, 2016 12:56PM
From the cheap kits I have seen - acrylic frames and bed would be the first to change, so you are OK there.
Also the MK8 extruder, so with a Wades style you are OK there.
Next would be the cheap knock-off hot-end, give it at try and see.

Having an easy to adjust z-axis endstop is a good upgrade.

You should just run through a calibration of the printer and start printing

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
March 20, 2016 05:44AM
My first few prints,

Cube was 40mm its a bit rough and wonky. The steps with the bridge etc are 5mmx5mm cubes. Again quite rough looking. Sizes are about there but middle cubes are distorted and bridges sagged a good bit. Also had trouble with adhesion to the bed one of of them but might be to me having marked the capton tape removing previous print.

All at .25 layer height. 40-50% speed on the small parts, 40mm cube 50%for first couple layers then 100% as seemed to be going well. Rest of the settings are just Cura ones i was given.

Any tips??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2016 08:53AM by JD42.
March 20, 2016 06:29AM
Just printing again now and the main issue im having is the edges curling up. Is this too much heat or just due to the lack of print coolong fan at the moment, need to order one.

Might post a video. ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login