Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

licensing on Prusa i3 variants

Posted by Antscran 
licensing on Prusa i3 variants
November 23, 2015 09:38AM
Hi all,

I am pretty unfamiliar with the intricacies of open source licenses both hardware and software, and wondering where a manufacturer stands on a Prusa i3 variant and releasing more detailed information on the system.

Now I have recently purchased a Wanhao Duplicator i3, a great printer but there are some stupid decisions made on some the design aspects. Anyway I would like to make some modifications and move it away from the MK10 hotend etc as this seems to be less of a standard and more bespoke as far as parts sourcing is concerned.

So are Wanhao obliged under the license for the Prusa i3 to release more detailed information, regarding their changes to the Prusa original design i.e. dimensions of parts etc?

Thanks,

Ant

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 09:54AM by Antscran.

[www.coder-tronics.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
Re: licensing on Prusa i3 variants
November 23, 2015 12:49PM
Hi,

The Wanhao Duplicator I3 is based on an open source printer (the Prusa i3) but it is not a Prusa i3, and is not open source any more.
Actualy Wanhao will not communicate any other information than the operating manual of its printers.

The MK10 extruder is known as the weak point of the Wanhao Duplicator i3.
You can still make upgrades on any part, but if you can't find a custom part on thingiverse or elsewhere,
you will probably need some CAD design skills to make the part you need, and your best friend will be a pair of digital calipers winking smiley

++JM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login