Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 Z-axis layer height problem

Posted by prusai3user 
Prusa i3 Z-axis layer height problem
December 26, 2015 01:23AM
Hello, I just finished building my Sunhokey Prusa i3. I am currently trying to calibrate the printer. The problem I am having is that the Z-axis seems to be having a layer height of 2-3mm instead of the 0.2mm set on the slic3r. I am not sure if I need to fix something on the firmware. The first time it goes up after the first layer, it goes 2mm up, which ruin the entire print. Any suggestions?
Re: Prusa i3 Z-axis layer height problem
December 26, 2015 02:46AM
You either haven't installed the microstepping jumpers for the z-steppers,
or your firmware has wrong steps/mm settings for your kind of lead screw pitch.
You can adjust steps/mm with the M92 command and store them with M500.
-Olaf
December 26, 2015 12:06PM
What is the microstepping jumpers? I just followed the instruction videos that came with the Sunhokey Prusa i3. Also, do I just follow the reprap steps/mm formula? This is the stepper motor I got: [www.wayengineer.com]

Thanks!
December 26, 2015 03:04PM
Depending on the controller board there will be jumpers to put under the stepper driver or close by them. This tell the controller that 1 step is 1/16th of a turn of the motor.

In the firmware there is a value to give the Z-axis (and the others) that will move it up:
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT

Use this calculator to check values:
[prusaprinters.org]

The Z-axis is this one:
[prusaprinters.org]

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
December 26, 2015 06:23PM
I am still not sure how to change the microstep. I couldn't find much information on the stepper motor drivers that came with the MKS Gen-2Z V1.2. It has no brand name and the number is not searchable. A1532? Where am I supposed to put the jumper wires and which one am I supposed to change?
Thanks!
December 27, 2015 01:50AM
Power the board off and remove the stepper off the board. There are 3 jumpers under it. All 3 should be jumpered.

[www.instructables.com]
December 27, 2015 03:43PM
They are jumpered. I changed the firmware too, but it's still having the same problem. Any other suggestions?
December 27, 2015 06:45PM
So if the printer is sitting idle and you tell pronterface/repitier to move the z-axis up 50mm how far does it move up?

[www.instructables.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login