Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

limit switch and other Problems for brand-new-to-reprap-but-otherwise-really-smart guy

Posted by buildingbigdreams 
Hello all

I just built a prusa i3 from a kit. I had no problems getting the kit together (I am a mechanical kind of guy) but i'm having issues with the electronics. Namely my limit switches don't seem to be working, my bearings seem to be a little tight (i'm guessing a little oil will fix that), and I keep seeing all this stuff about Marlin and I have no idea what it is talking about.

Surely there is a systematic approach for new users. Anyone know where I can find that? I need a guide that walks through proper setup of software, firmware, and hardware integration. (I don't need a tutorial on assembling the printer.)

I also need some help on the limit switches. Do I have them plugged in correctly (NO or NC??) on the switch and the board (i think it is a ramps board)?

Is there a software program I should have besides Repartier? it seems like the Marlin deal either has a dashboard that you can use to troubleshoot the printer, or it is just another version of repartier, or both??? can anyone set me straight? Where do I download an installer? I don't know how to compile software at all.

I know Gcode and I know CNC really well, but this stuff is new to me so a little guidance will be greatly appreciated.
I did an instructable on building an i3 from scratch.
[www.instructables.com]

Start at around step 9.

Also the M119 command via Pronterface or Repieter will help you with end-stop issues and show what is triggered and not

Hope this helps

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
Marlin is a firmware, that gets installed on Arduino style controllers that actually run the motors, heaters, etc. (the arduino controller could be called a RAMPS, a RUMBA etc).

Typically the software 'chain' includes

CAD software to design a 3d model file (OpenSCAD, BLENDER, Autocad, FreeCAD), this produces a model file such as a .stl
Slicer Software that takes a model file and turns it into GCODE the controller will understand (i.e Slic3R, Skeinforge, Cura). This produces gcode (.gcode)
Host Software that communicates with the controller and send the gcode, it may also run the slicer (pronterface, repetier host, octoprint)
Controller Firmware that runs on the controller and takes in the gcode and actually moves the motors, heaters etc (Marlin, Sprinter)

see http://reprap.org/wiki/The_incomplete_RepRap_Prusa_Mendel_beginner's_guide for a good overview guide that gives links to lots of other info.

Paul.
--
www.paulhurley.co.uk
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login