Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cant get Motors to move!!!!

Posted by j800shy 
Cant get Motors to move!!!!
January 02, 2016 11:02AM
I cant get the motors to move while in manual control mode?

Need help,

I have I3 2020 printer

thanks
Re: Cant get Motors to move!!!!
January 03, 2016 03:13AM
Did you "home" the printer before attempting to move them?
-Olaf
January 03, 2016 11:36AM
Have the motors moved for you ever before?
January 04, 2016 06:45AM
No the motors have not moved for me at all!

I have tried to home them out, then move the axis but nothing moves?

am i missing something? I have followed the steps in the manual?
January 04, 2016 09:29AM
A couple things to check. First check all your connections, if the power cable is loose then the motors won't work. Secondly check that your feedrate is reasonable (100ish). Third, and this is a common mistake make sure that you have installed your jumpers (little black clips) under the stepper drivers. Fourth, sometimes stepper motors come with the wires in the connector in the wrong order. Steppers have two pairs of wires that can be identified by checking the resistance. If the two wires have almost 0 resistance between them, then they are a pair and need to be next to each other on the connector.
January 04, 2016 09:30AM
If none of those help then we can talk you through troubleshooting. But we need more details to be much of a help.
January 04, 2016 10:03AM
Thank you for the reply, i will check what you have suggested when i get home from work,

I will also provide pictures to support the issue that i am having etc.
January 04, 2016 07:04PM
Hi ok so i took some photos: -

I checked the connections all Good
I adjusted teh speed to 100. Still no luck.
however
I have notced that the wires from the conector going into the board are (left to right) green, yellow, Grey, Red.
But going into the stepper motors are Green GREY,YELLOW,Red. The grey and yellow are different.

Would this be an issue? and is this what the referal to with the 2 wires mixed up in the connector to the stepper motors?

Let me know,

Thanks for the help!
Attachments:
open | download - 3D Printer issues.docx (490.3 KB)
open | download - 3D Printer issues - Copy.docx (463.1 KB)
January 04, 2016 09:02PM
You can test motor pairs with a multi-meter
[reprap.org]

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
January 05, 2016 06:33PM
Ok i checked the Resistance between the wires and you were correct the cable wires were not correct i have adjusted these!
However i still cannot get my motors to run.

You mention jumpers (little black clips) under the stepper drivers, i have not put these in as far as i am aware, as the mega board seemed to be fully constructed and i did not have and (black clips to add)
Can someone please provide a picture of these?

Above is a picture of the board that came assembled. I did not perform step 19 task 1-4 in the manual due to this reason.

Any help is much appreciated!

thanks!
January 05, 2016 07:46PM
So the jumpers don't go on the arduino it's self. They go on the ramps (the arduino shield) under the stepper drivers (the little chips that plug into the Ramps board). You should have three under each stepper driver, you take off one of the stepper drivers and see three black things, then your ok. If you see six metal pins, then you still need to add them.

The jumpers are simply a little physical electronic connector, which tells the stepper driver to use either 1/4, 1/8, or 1/16 microstepping most firmware assumes that you will use 1/16 microstepping, and unless you change that, then weird things happen. I don't really know enough to explain exactly what microstepping does, but if you just google it I'm sure it will make more sense.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login