Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa resetting itself

Posted by Ichimonji 
Prusa resetting itself
January 23, 2016 09:24PM
Hello all, been looking through the boards for a fix on this, and can't seem to get anywhere.
Working with the original Prusa i3 from prusa3d.com.
I've had an issue recently where the machine keeps resetting whenever I try to heat the bed. Went to go print, and noticed there was no filament being extruded, but the nozzle was moving around scribing the first couple layers into the coating on the glass. This happened twice, at which point everything was normal-bed and nozzle were heating no problem. When it happened a third time, I killed the print which shut off the heat to bed and extruder. I went to turn them back on almost immediately, because I was adjusting the filament. As it was heating the bed, I was fiddling with the extruder assembly and the bed to check level, and my LCD display showed two rows of squares, and back to normal readout(where everything is off, as on startup). Bed and hot end off in Repetier Host.
I turned on bed and hot end in RH, and it reset, again shutting off heating in RH. Tried running a preheat sequence through the onboard, same result.
In Pronterface, set the bed temp to 15C just for hahas, and nothing happened-machine stayed on. Set to 30C, machine resets.
Unplugged heated bed power from board, sent heat, machine stayed on.
Set bed to 50C, machine resets almost immediately, as in all previous attempts but 15C
Hotend is not affected at all,still heats normally and holds temperature.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this to happen, and how I could go about fixing?

Everything comes apart with a sledgehammer.
Re: Prusa resetting itself
January 25, 2016 01:45AM
Seems your power supply is broken or too small. It can't keep the voltage up on high current demand and arduinos 5V regulator quits with a reset.

-Olaf
Re: Prusa resetting itself
January 31, 2016 03:59PM
I contacted Prusa about the issue,and their suggestion was to remove the bed from the Y carriage and see if it would heat normally, which it did. The problem was the bed was shorting out against the Y carriage. I also checked the prusa3d forum and found a solution I'd never have thought of. Took me a couple hours, but it turns out that the washers on the corners can dig into the bed and cause it to short. I insulated them with a layer of kapton tape and a layer of masking tape on top of that, and also wrapped the bare wires going to the bed in kapton as well, and that seemed to help. Its important that the washers are installed smooth side facing the bed for some reason. I've pulled 4 successful prints in PLA off it so far, with no resets.

Everything comes apart with a sledgehammer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login