Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Max temp bed error

Posted by stevo1957 
Max temp bed error
January 31, 2016 05:43AM
Hi guys,

I'm still trying to get some success with the new printer but alas, still no luck.

Today I updated the firmware so I could unlock the EEPROM to be able to save settings / e steps etc.

I used this configuration of Marlin firmware (configuration H file is attached), which according to my research, has provided good results to those who have upgraded to this.
[github.com]

I have a problem though in that I get the max temp bed error at 94 degrees.

According to my read of the config file (attached) if the printer is a Sunhokey 2015, it should be ok up to 150 degrees but given the error comes at 94 degrees as per the other code in the H file, I suspect the printer is not being seen as a Sunhokey.

I don't know if it I should just amend the config to change the 94 degrees to 150 degrees or whether there may be other issues if the printer is not being correctly recognised.

I am also still having my original trouble with the print head starting prints higher than the home position for the Z axis which means the filament will not stick to the bed so will no doubt need to factor some Z axis offset to rectify. I don't know why the same position just doesn't carry through to the start of the print.

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (36.7 KB)
Re: Max temp bed error
January 31, 2016 06:17AM
Further investigating, I note that a dump of my settings via the M503 code command returns the following:

22:13:51.710 : FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1.0.2; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:[github.com] PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPEtongue sticking out smileyrusa i3 EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

Does this mean that I should edit the Config H file to define the printer as "Prusa i3" instead of the current "Sunhokey 2015" and then reflash the firmware? Would this then mean that the max bed temp error would then be based on 150 degrees?

Cheers,

Steve
January 31, 2016 06:40AM
Hi Steve

I wouldn't get too worried about the machine name, it is only for messages and doesn't effect other settings as far as I know.

It is mainly the board type that has impacts throughout the configuration (yours is set as RAMPS 1.3).

Looking at your code, the sunhotkey flag is set in line 5. For what it is worth, the name 'Prusa i3' is set in line 61.

There is indeed a maximum bed temperature of 94 degrees set in line 160; the comment in the code above seems to imply that the bed shouldn't be run any higher than 90 and that the 94 setting is to allow for a bit of overshoot from this.

What temperature are you trying to run it at?

If you want to run it higher and are confident that it can cope, change line 160 from 94 to whatever.

Cheers
Laurence
January 31, 2016 07:21AM
Thanks Laurence,

I think my understanding of the "if / else" statement is wrong...............I assumed that the "==" in the first line below meant that if it was a Sunhokey, use the 275 and 150 degree settings.

#if SUNHOKEY_2015 == 0
#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 275
#define HEATER_1_MAXTEMP 275
#define HEATER_2_MAXTEMP 275
#define BED_MAXTEMP 150
#else
#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 280
#define HEATER_1_MAXTEMP 280
#define HEATER_2_MAXTEMP 280
// max safe 'steady' value is 90, but can't be set as just one degree over
// causes the printer to enter bed temp protection
#define BED_MAXTEMP 94
#endif

The bed will take 100 degrees (I upgraded to a Mk2b with glass top given the stock aluminium one was warped.

I'll make the setting change to the required temp in the config file and reflash.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Steve
January 31, 2016 07:44AM
Yeah the logic is not very intuitive, the way they have coded this version.

SUNHOKEY_2015 is defined at the top as 1.

Therefore SUNHOKEY_2015 == 0 is false, so it falls though to the else.

The usual way to code this type of thing is '#ifdef SUNHOKEY_2015' which would evaluate to true regardless of its value, as long as it has been defined at all. If you look through the rest of the code this is how it is done.

Hopefully you have fixed it anyhow!

Cheers / Laurence
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login