Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cooling Fan burned out...

Posted by pwcsponson 
Cooling Fan burned out...
February 20, 2016 11:03AM
Hello, I bought and assembled my first 3d printer (the prusa i3) about two weeks ago, and within a couple of prints there was a burning plastic smell. I checked the filament/extruder but didn't find a problem until a few days later - where the wires had ripped themselves out of the extruder-mounted print cooling fan and torched the side. I bought a replacement 12v fan and tested it, but a red LED light pops up on the circuit board along with a continuous beep. I'm admittedly not that well versed in electronics/engineering, so I kind of have no idea what to do at this point. I made sure the connections were oriented the right way, and I checked the manuals that came with the printer. Is the circuit board fried in that area? I doubt the new fan is dead. Should I just mount a bunch of exterior fans for cooling? Or is there another spot I could plug the fan?
Anonymous User
Re: Cooling Fan burned out...
February 20, 2016 04:21PM
So, you need a cooling fan to cool your fan ! smiling smiley

I see plenty of assembled printers where there is no proper cable protection and relief.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 04:23PM by MKSA.
Re: Cooling Fan burned out...
February 20, 2016 05:38PM
MKSA
So, you need a cooling fan to cool your fan ! smiling smiley

I see plenty of assembled printers where there is no proper cable protection and relief.

Yeah, like I said it's my first time with this kind of thing. I wrapped up all the extruder cables with that spiral cable protector but I think one of the grooves got caught on the bed and ripped the wires out. The wires are all better sorted now, but... y'know, damage is done kind of thing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login