Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Possible Power Supply Problem? Motors stopped mid print.

Posted by jcivitello 
Possible Power Supply Problem? Motors stopped mid print.
April 08, 2016 06:10PM
RepRap Prusa i3 Kit.

OK so here is my rundown.

A few weeks ago everything was peachy and working correctly. In the middle of my print all of my motors died at the same time, the bed cooled off and the extruder stopped heating.

I assumed my power supply failed because the computer and arduino board were still communicating fine. The computer showed the print was printing on my print preview... showing the lines that it should have been printing on my computer screen while my printer was stationary doing nothing but being a glorified paperweight.

So i made a post a while ago and all signs pointed to my power supply being blown.

I just replaced my power supply, Hooked it all up nice and pretty and I am still having the same issues. It seems that my board thinks everything is working but the power supply isn't getting the message... or possibly just not getting power at all.

What can be causing this problem? Any guesses? Any fixes?

I'm not the most computer savvy guy on the planet so... I may ask follow up questions to answers just so I know im on the right track.

Other points of note:

1 - The arduino board seems to get power when I plug in my computer via USB, but not while it's just plugged into my power supply.

2 - New and old power supplies have a green LED. Neither lights up.

3 - While my computer is plugged in the LEDs on my end stops light up when activated not when my computer is unplugged from the board.

4 - I re-uploaded the code to the arduino board to see if something funky happened. still the same problem.

5 - The little green LED on the power supply does flicker for an instant when i first plug it into the wall outlet. However after that initial flicker there is no evidence of power being supplied by my power supply.
Re: Possible Power Supply Problem? Motors stopped mid print.
April 09, 2016 04:25AM
sounds like you might have a 12v short somewhere...

1) unplug your power supply from the controller, attempt to turn it on, does the led come on and say on?
no led, is a bad supply or bad mains cable or bad mains socket, or bad mains wiring

2) if it does turn on... (don’t know what board you have) but if you can remove everything you can, headed bed, hot end and driver modules
reconnect the power supply, does it now stay on?

slowly add parts back, one by one, till it fails. the last one gives you a good idea where to look for issues
April 11, 2016 02:22PM
some power supplies have a 110V (USA) and a 220V (Europe) mode, it's changed by flipping a little switch. If you are in the wrong mode bad things happen. Also I would advise using a multimeter to test everything. make sure that your power supply is A) producing a voltage across the 12v contact and the ground, and cool smiley make sure that current is actually flowing into the printer. You can test this by putting the red probe on the + contact of the power supply and the black probe on the V in contact of your printer. make sure that you dont have any wires runnung the same rout, make all electricity go through yoru multimeter.
April 14, 2016 03:25PM
Bench check the power supply as previously mentioned _prior_ to hooking it up, verify output, etc. Sound very much like a bad PSU.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login