Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Burning Bootloader with Arduuino UNO as ISP

Posted by graybeardtx 
Burning Bootloader with Arduuino UNO as ISP
June 04, 2016 03:36PM
II have of those Ebay Prusa i3 printers that uses a Melzi controller board. I managed to fry the bed heater terminals on the board so I ordered a replacement from Ebay. After reading about using an Arduino as an ISP to upload bootloaders and firmware I set out to burn a bootloader to my new Melzi board. There are quite a few sources of information on how to update the bootloaders, most being the same steps. What appears to vary is the importance of the history. Almost everything relates to the software as it existed in 2012/13. There appears to have been quite a lot of improvement and changes made but Google searches cant seem to find any up to date information. So I turn to the community for help ( I am not proficient at programming or electronics in general) I can follow instructions .

. I am using an OSEPP UNO R3 Plus as my ISP, Adruino IDE 1.6.9. The sketch runs fine on the initial load. However, when I hook the boards together using the ICSP header pins and select the Burn Bootloader option (after changing the target board to Sanguino, Atmega1284p-16meg Processor and port COM5 of the Arduino, I get the dreaded "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" message. I have even tried from the command line with the same results. Some have suggested changing the baud rates and trying to hit a good number but the recommended baud rate is in the configuration file.

The output suggests verifying the wiring which is a common problem. I have verified the connections - I'm using custom made sockets. I used the system to burn a bootloader on a new ATmega328P chip with no problems.
Re: Burning Bootloader with Arduuino UNO as ISP
June 09, 2016 01:27PM
Wouldn't you know it - came in today and retried for the umpteenth time and voila, worked as if nothing had ever been wrong. And they say it is insanity to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login