Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FolgerTech 2020 Stepper Motor and axis issues

Posted by schmuck 
FolgerTech 2020 Stepper Motor and axis issues
June 06, 2016 12:34PM
Here is my first 3D printer build that I got from FolgerTech. Everything went super smooth through the build itself. I had some small issues with the electronics and coding part such as having to use a fresh version of marlin and write the code that actually would work, but I got it to what I think is supposed to be the final product of the project, however as you can see from the video I have on here, that the y and z axis are still not working for me. The z axis seems to want to work but sometimes one side gets stuck while the other still moves along the rod. Everything else seems to be fine. The temp seems to work, have actually measured temp but seems to get hot. The motors seems to be my only issue. I have even tinkered with the current pots on the stepper drivers and still the axis don't want to move properly. There are a couple reasons that I think that it couldn't be working:

For z axis the threaded rods are too severely bent that the motors are able to hand the torque require to push through the load

The motors aren't receiving the proper electricity needed

Faulty motors or ramps board. I did have a fan not work for me so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case for other parts of the machine.

I haven't use a digital multimeter to check voltages or anything because I assumed that they would be correct so that would probably be my next step. If there is anything else needed to properly help me than let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help. This forum is an awesome resource.

Video:
[youtu.be]
Re: FolgerTech 2020 Stepper Motor and axis issues
June 06, 2016 02:40PM
All I can tell from the video is that your y belt is really loose.

Did you go through the steps from my reply to your previous question?
[forums.reprap.org]
June 06, 2016 03:09PM
Steve,

Yes I did do the NO configuration that you told me. I scrapped the entire FT Marlin that they had with their kit and did a new configuration because they had changed things and I wasn't able to see all of the NO/NC configurations. That was extremely helpful and I know now that the end stops are properly being triggered and the homing is going to work when all the other things come together

I have no been able to get my hands on a multimeter yet but that is going to be my next step. I need to go out and buy one I just haven't had a chance yet.

I do agree that the y axis is pretty loose I just didn't think that that would effect the motion of the motor so it wasn't on the top of my list of things to fix

Any suggestions on the Z axis?

Thanks so much!!
Schmuck
June 06, 2016 08:02PM
You really do need a multi-meter - to check voltage from the PS, voltage of steppers, motor wiring pairs etc.
Do you have a local hackspace/makerspace - they will have one and also a bunch of people into 3D printers

Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login