Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer Expoded, there was sparks and everything! Help!

Posted by muntahunta 
Printer Expoded, there was sparks and everything! Help!
June 12, 2016 07:07AM
ok, I was printing some 3D letteringand all of a sudden, the extruder stopped working.
The motor didnt seem to have enough power to turn.
It wasnt a blocked nozzle as I could easily push filament through, so I knocked the printer off,turned up the stepper driver a little to see if that would help then turned it back on.
Sparks flew from the back of the RAMPS board (the side with the USB and Power).
Now the extruder motor isnt turning at all, everything else works fine.

Do I need a new stepper driver? or a new extruder motor?
I was planning on upgrading to a dual head motor anyway but I have a few orders which need completing.
I do have spare stepper motors, but they are a different model than the ones currently on the board, does it matter that they are not the same?
Re: Printer Expoded, there was sparks and everything! Help!
June 12, 2016 07:12AM
Update: Swapped the motor wires around with the Y axis stepper and the motor is working fine.
So im guessing its the stepper motor, does it matter if they are the same model?
June 12, 2016 08:41AM
2nd Update, tried the other stepper driver, didnt work. either I cant use different drivers or the board is screwed.
June 12, 2016 02:57PM
You can switch over to the empty extruder port for now. Just swap the pin assignment in marlins pins.h
June 15, 2016 12:01PM
hey, thanks smiling smiley
I'm using repetier and beyond the odd tweak here and there in config i've not really looked into the code.
No idea how to swap it over to the second extruder port.
June 15, 2016 12:39PM
im assuming this is the part i need to edit:

#define ORIG_E0_STEP_PIN 26
#define ORIG_E0_DIR_PIN 28
#define ORIG_E0_ENABLE_PIN 24

#define ORIG_E1_STEP_PIN 36
#define ORIG_E1_DIR_PIN 34
#define ORIG_E1_ENABLE_PIN 30

but there are 4 wires so why not 4 pins to edit?
i've swapped the stepper and the wires to the other extruder port, just trying to figure out how to use that port as my main extruder.
-----edit-----
i've just changed the pin numbers over on this (swapped 26 and 36, 38 and 34 and 24 and 30) and the extruder still doesnt work. not sure if thats what i was meant to do haha.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2016 12:53PM by muntahunta.
June 18, 2016 06:50AM
I've now swapped both to my spare ramps board and to a new mega board and i'm still getting this problem.
June 18, 2016 10:23AM
OK, newest update, i'll put everytrhing that has happened so far.

I have changed the ramps board to my backup board.
I have changed the mega board to a brand new board.
I have added fresh firmware from repetier with mostly default settings (to see wether it was programming)
I have swapped stepper drivers over to see if a working driver would work, it didnt.
I swapped wires on the board with a different slot (swapped the x axis and the extruder over) The extruder worked but the x axis did not.
Swapped the x axis and extruder back, x axis worked, extruder did not....

So now, with completely different boards and having tested the extruder motor (and it working on a different slot) and different stepper drivers and nothing changing and also flashing a brand new default firmware setup with the same problem staying... what could it possibly be?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login