Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PSU Requirements

Posted by schmuck 
PSU Requirements
June 15, 2016 07:46PM
Hey guys,

I have been looking around for the power requirements across the internet and seemed to get quite a large range. Anywhere from the 203w xbox psu to needing a 400w minimum for your printer to work. I have a folgertech 2020 and the stock power supply that it comes with ( which I'm guessing will suit all of my needs) however, I have a 250w psu ( no idea how old it is, but pretty old) I salvaged from an old computer I had laying around. I would be fine using the stock 360w supply given to me in the kit by folger tech, but I want the features of the 250 supply that I found, such as the m80 and m81 commands, not needing a voltage divider for the 5v auto leveling sensor, and just the convenience of having multiple 12v outputs rather than the 3 or 4 that are on the screw terminal of the one provided. I have a picture of the specs on the side of the power supply. I could potentially buy a power supply but dont see the need if I have one already in my possession.

Thanks for your guys help!

Schmuck
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_4714-min (1).jpg (325.4 KB)
Re: PSU Requirements
June 16, 2016 03:26PM
According to the wiki the PCB heatbed and hotend together could take more than the 14A they are saying you can draw on the 12V line but for the heat bed they say 5-15 amps so that's a broad range. I am using a 430 watt ATX psu on my folger 2020 and have had no issues. Mine does't have it broken down for each voltage like yours but I don't think I am taxing it because it's staying cool and the fan doesn't kick into high.

I wanted to switch because that strip one from folger was so freaking loud. The one corsair one I got is silent.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
June 16, 2016 04:57PM
Yeah, I might try the one that I found but who knows how that would go.

If anything I will try and tear apart some old computers and find something with a decent wattage, until then I will have to be fine with the one they gave me.

Thanks for your help!
June 17, 2016 10:15PM
The one I got was a refurb corsair from microcenter it was less than 30 bucks. Totally worth it from the noise reduction.

June 24, 2016 01:56PM
I actually managed to take a 430w thermaltake. Have you had any issues with the green ps_on short trick? It takes like the 3-4 times for me to switch the power on and off for it to power the whole machine up. It still works so it's not that big of a deal I just think that it's weird that it doesn't work right away. If I wire an led to the green and ground then it has power but still doesn't make the whole thing start up. Maybe the supply isn't providing enough power? Not sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks
June 24, 2016 11:04PM
No but I opened up the psu and removed all the extra wires then I soldered the two together to make it turn on and they are inside the case. I turn it off and on using the hard switch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login