Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Frustration

Posted by philpow 
Frustration
November 28, 2016 05:30AM
Hi I am new to 3D printing but as I have some engineering background after looking at what was going on I thought I would give it a go!
I mean what could go wrong!!!!!!!!!
I chose the Anet A8 as it seemed to have a fair following and a reasonable reputation and the price suited my retired situation I am 67 by the way.
Upon receipt of the printer I discovered a number of poor design areas but I had already seen that most of these were already dealt with and I would be able to print modifications to things like the 1.5mm misalignment error of the Z axis nut and guide rod.
Assembly was no problem and I soon had it all powered up ready to go I chose one of the items on the sd card supplied to print and pressed go and as soon as things were up to temp it started sadly while it was going through the motions of printing nothing was coming out of the extruder however if i pushed the PLA by hand it did.
For two months now I have been trying to find a way of connecting my computer Windows 10 to the board
while there seem to be plenty of information out there on you tube for instance they are all talking to people who are as far as i'm concerned from another planet.
So having I hope given the background to my situation.
I will proceed I have tried connecting the extruder motor to an axis output and found that it works fine as does the connecting cable but the output from the board when connected to a different motor is not, ergo I want to see if it it a firmware problem or a component one.
To do this I need to connect my computer to the board .
Which version of cura should I use.
how do I get my computer to see the board it recognises a connection but does't connect.
If anyone can help please do.
Also what machine do I tell Cura I have
Re: Frustration
November 28, 2016 11:21AM
On the SD card supplied there is a software folder. This has sub folders with the CH340 driver, Cura 14.07 and Repetier Host 1.0.5.

There is another folder on the card that contains operating instructions. These tell you how to install the software, You will need to copy the software to your PC before carrying out the installation. Make sure that when you run the install the box "install Arduino driver" is checked.

You will need to have the printer connected to the PC with a USB lead and turned on. When installing the software as described it will also install the CH340 driver. The port setting during this process needs setting to Port Auto, Baudrate 115200, Transfer protocol Auto detect.

Once installation is complete and with the printer still turned on and connected via the USB. On the PC go into Control Panel / Hardware and sound / Device Manager and open it. Look down to Ports - Com and Lpt and expand this you should see an entry for USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM4) although the com port number may be different - make a note of it. This shows that the driver has installed correctly and is communicating with the printer.

Run Cura and follow the steps in the operating instructions. You should now be able to print from Cura.

When you install Repetier Host you will need some of the values from the operating manual. There is a manual for Repetier host but it is not provided with the printer. You will need to download it from the net. You will need to add a printer in Repetier host called CH340 and configure all the tabs before clicking Apply.

With regard to the extruder problem. As I said before it is almost certainly NOT a firmware problem. I posted details of the connecting cable from the board to the extruder stepper previously. This cable is not reversible end for end. Make sure that you have it connected as a described previously and that the plugs are pushed firmly into place. Make sure that the extruder gear is pressing onto the filament. You should need some effort to pull the filament out unless you press the release button. If you can pull it out easily then it is not applying enough grip. You should also not be able to push it in by hand unless you are holding down the release button.

If you can't sort this then send me a personal message.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2016 11:56AM by Supermec.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login