Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finally built my very first printer - Folgertech i3 - plugged it in...now what?

Posted by Alvysyngr 
Finally built my very first printer - Folgertech i3 - plugged it in...now what?
January 13, 2021 03:50PM
*found the config pds - had no idea it existed - will hit it up tomorrow
[drive.google.com]

I finally built the Folger Tech 2020 Prusa i3 kit that I had bought in 2015 - it has the 2004 LCD Controller w/ SD Card Reader

I plug it in and a few lights go on, I hear the fan spin up, the LCD comes to life but now what? How do I test this thing and start troubleshooting/adjusting it?

I know this might be obvious to many of you but this is my VERY first 3d printer so I am unsure what to do next

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2021 06:38PM by Alvysyngr.
Re: Finally built my very first printer - Folgertech i3 - plugged it in...now what?
January 15, 2021 06:49AM
This is just a basic overview.

Setup up a basic control program, I recommend Pronterface/printrun and try out some gcodes [marlinfw.org]
I always recommend using M119 or M114, they are safe, no movement, not turning things on, just reporting

You need to check basic functionality.

check temperatures read close to room temp M105 (pronterface will also show temperatures)
check endstops work by moving all axis manually by hand off of their endstops sending a M119 (should all say open) and then press an endstop switch and check it changed to triggered with a new M119, repeat for all axis
check heating works, try setting hotend to 30c check the temperature rises, if all goes well try higher temperatures (don't exceed max of hotend) , don't leave hot with no filament of filament not extruding M104 M107
check heating of heated bed in a similar way M140

check X axis moves with interface interface. +10mm should move extruder right 10mm then -10mm should move left 10mm (check distance and direction)
if that is fine, (being ready to pull the power in case ) try homing X axis/ If it moves in wrong direction, pull the power. If it bangs at the endstop, remove power.
repeat for Y, +10mm should move the bed forward, -10 should move the bed back (becase the hotend is fixed in that axis and the bed moves, its reverse of what most people think.
Z is trickier as if the Z endstot is not in correct place you can damage the bed.
So move up and down 10, check that is ok.
move z up enough to give you time. then click home Z, check it it moving down and press the z endstop it should stop. (pull the power if it doesn't)
To set Z endstop I tend to move entstop up a deliberately high so you can damage the bed, then home Z. Lower the z endstop and repeat, inch down until hotend is lightly gripping a thin peice of paper (I use receipts) on the bed

next test the extruder. walm it up the the recommend temp for the filamant and click extrude a few time to take the filament in. (if it wont take it in, it might be going backwards... This is easy to fix).
extrude a few more times, eventually hot plastic will come out.

once you get this far, its on to getting models, and slicing them and actually printing them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login