Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper timeout and Z limits

Posted by Stevolution 
Stepper timeout and Z limits
November 08, 2019 05:03PM
Hello

First post. Be gentle

I am configuring my home built CNC ( Y=800mm, X=600mm), and have a few questions regarding homing and Z heights.

All my NC limit switches work fine, but they timeout when homing if too far from the home position (especially in the Y axis). I have to keep resetting the Rambo LCD and continuing the homing process until they reach bottom left of the machine and home.
I have searched the code and cannot see a homing timeout (or is it a servo timeout?).
Any advice on increasing the amount of time it allows for it to home – if possible?

My second question is the Z limits.
I fitted a Z max microswitch for the Z pillar when it is raised.
Am I right in thinking this won’t actually do anything, unless I enable it? It is working, but probably doesn't actually do anything (well... nothing I have seen).

I ideally want it to stop the Z height rising (Z stepper +) whatever the command (probably when I manually lift Z). Just to stop it over-running the rails.

I made a 0.6mm touch plate, which I believe is how the homing command determines Z min (0v to the tool, signal to the plate).
Yet to work out where I then tell the system to add that 0.6mm back to the start height, but I will Google that later.

Is there a way of adding a limit switch that will always stops the Z travel downwards (towards the bed) whatever the machine is doing? Almost maybe like an emergency stop.
While I am playing around learning all this stuff (G-Code etc), I would like to add an adjustable limit switch to my Z height to prevent me accidentally destroying my hard work (I would set it maybe 1 or 2mm higher than the pen I am using as a starting learning tool).

Thank you for your time
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login