Upgrading to the Latest Marlin release from an older RepRapPro Mendel clone
February 16, 2016 06:18PM
Hi!

What I would like to know, is if it is a better idea to use the latest and greatest Marlin in place of the an early 'sprinter-melzi' build that the printer came with. From all of my testing, I can get latest version of Marlin to work but I am not sure that I have gained anything 'significant'.

The old 'sprinter-melzi' version did not have PID temp control, so that was the main impetuous for trying to upgrade. Now with Marlin, I can auto-tune my PID values which is very nice. However,I am (for some reason) not seeing the temperature flatline on the setpoint as I expected. It's always low and has trouble reaching the target temp. What can I be doing wrong? I use the same thermistor table for both firmwares so I know I am comparing apples to apples.

I know in time, I'll be able to work these issues out... my main question is... Is it better to have a printer running the latest Marlin... or the dated (but compatible) original firmware?

Thanks!
Re: Upgrading to the Latest Marlin release from an older RepRapPro Mendel clone
February 16, 2016 06:45PM
I believe the current RCBugFix is going to be much more stable than what was shipped with the printer.
Re: Upgrading to the Latest Marlin release from an older RepRapPro Mendel clone
February 16, 2016 08:30PM
That's a good point. Stability should be much greater than the original firmware. Marlin has alot of exposure.

One note I forgot to emphasis... it's a RepRapPro Mendel *Clone*. A kit I got from China. The original firmware is VERY OLD. A long dead branch of sprinter. I guess my vendor doesn't care to keep up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 08:36PM by happyzax.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login