[SOLVED] how to implement second heater?
September 23, 2017 02:18PM
Hey there,
I've got a FLsun Cube and got it with a single extruder but I want to implement a second extruder. The printer uses the MKS GEN_L V1.0 Board which actually has two heater ports but uses the RAMPS 14 configuration.
I normally like modifying my Marlin FW but I only adjust values and do not change the code itself untill now... So my question is the following:
[ATTACHEMENTS IN DROPBOX LINK AT THE END OF THE POST]

Does anyone know how the second extruder (more specifically the second heater) is implemented in the attached Marlin 1.1.4-cube-chimera (I attached my Version as well: "DualCore Marlin-1.1.5")? I see that it runs the RAMPS_14_EFB mode, but where is the HEATER_1_PIN defined then?
I wanted to do as less changes as possible concerning the original code file but in order to get it work (and leave the FW usable for other settings) I had to do the following:

configuration.h (besides adjusting the values for a second extruder):
-change "#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB"
to "#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFBE"

pins.h:
-add lines "#elif MB(RAMPS_14_EFBF || RAMPS_14_EFBE)
#include "pins_RAMPS.h"
which avoids to set a mode for the ramps board (as "#define IS_RAMPS_EFB" would do)

pins_RAMPS.h:
-disable the "Augumentation for auto-assigning RAMPS plugs" section in order to leave the ramps mode unspecified
-set the MOSFET_D_PIN (from-1) to 7 which is the actual port for heater 1 (which then will be assigned to HEATER_1_PIN a few lines below in "[...] #else #define HEATER_1_PIN MOSFET_D_PIN")

Compiling was successfull so far and I think my way could also work but I would like to know how it is done in the firmware supplied with the original dual extruder setup.

FILES: [www.dropbox.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2017 02:41PM by Schild0r.
Re: how to implement second heater?
September 23, 2017 02:40PM
Okay I just noticed that I do not need to disable the "Augumentation for auto-assigning RAMPS plugs" section if I set a MOSFET_D_PIN.

I also noticed that the way it is done in the original firmware is not as smart as my way (by simply adding #define HEATER1_PIN 7 into the EFB configuration section)
And I noticed that basically all you have to do to apply the settings as it is meant to be done is:
- change motherboard type to "BAM_DICE" which includes the pins_ramps.h without setting a mode
- setting the MOSFET_D_PIN to the value 7
Re: [SOLVED] how to implement second heater?
September 24, 2017 01:02AM

I also noticed that the way it is done in the original firmware is not as smart as my way

Hmmmm.... I guess we will wait for your perfect implementation that gives us enlightenment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login