Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Auto switch-off?

Posted by HugoW 
Auto switch-off?
September 30, 2017 01:00PM
Hi,

I have my diy printer working and today I made my first 4-hour print. It all worked, I am happy. But on weekdays, making a 4 hour print would mean the printer sits idle for about 5 hours until I return from work. I would like to make something that switches the machine off when it's done. Maybe I am reinventing the wheel, and I have no real clue of the workings of Marlin, but here's my idea:
When pushing and holding a power button, something in the Marlin setup should set a port on my RAMPS high. This port will power a solenoid parralel to the power button, taking over it's function, so I can let go. Now I can load the file and start the print.
When the print is done, the M84 g-code stops the program and has the machine sit idle. This g-code should be mentioned somewhere in Marlin's loop, to start a timer of a few seconds or minutes (cooling down everything) and once the timer is done it sets the before mentioned port low, the solenoids lets go and the machine switches off.
Should be simple, but I have no clue how to do this. Can anyone help, is there a simpler option or have I just reinvented the wheel again and is there already something available?

Cheers,

Hugo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2017 01:02PM by HugoW.
Re: Auto switch-off?
September 30, 2017 03:23PM
Many of the power supplies can be turned off. And Marlin has a power off command: M81
Re: Auto switch-off?
September 30, 2017 08:21PM
If your using an atx power supply, you power the ramps from standby power and it turns the power supply on and off via gcode

NB please read the safety section.. you should not leave your printer unattended. its is a fire risk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2017 08:22PM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login