Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 1.1.7 not booting after restart

Posted by ManuelW 
Marlin 1.1.7 not booting after restart
December 16, 2017 11:42AM
Hey there,
i have a strange behavior with Marlin 1.1.7.
I flashed 1.1.7 to my printer, Marlin starts and everything is fine. But if i shutdown the printer an restart,
then the display is empty and nothing happens. I try'd with recompiling and flashing again, but its always the same.

I flashed back to 1.1.6-bugfix (latest) it works fine.

I don't know whats wrong. Checked everything in the config,.
Re: Marlin 1.1.7 not booting after restart
December 16, 2017 01:06PM
I had a similar problem with Marlin 1.1.6 while flashing MPX.3 and a Base v1.3 controller.
I re-flashed the Firmware and Reloaded firmware defaults from the EEProm. Using M502 - Factory Reset and M501 - Restore Settings and Saved with M500.

Now I made this sound simple! This was not a simple process As the original flash Arduino IDE refused to allow me to re-flash the controller. So I reverted to an older version of the Arduino IDE Flash an older version of the firmware, then proceeded to upgraded back to the Marlin 1.1.5 with the newer version IDE as that was the firmware that had previously functioned Best for my purposes.

This did not happen with the first flash and I was about to give up and purchase another Controller!!
When is finally accepted the flash of the older version Marlin. After I verified it worked then I re-flashed with Marlin 1.1.5 Using a Newer Version of Arduino IDE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2017 01:09PM by Roberts_Clif.
December 17, 2017 02:26PM
My Problem isn't that i can't flash the board. Flashing works fine and if i flash the old firmware 1.1.6-bugfix it works also.
The Problem is, that the new 1.1.7 firmware only boot 1 time. If i make the printer powerless and power them on again, 1.1.7 won't boot.
December 17, 2017 04:21PM
All Marlin 1.1.X worked fine for me until I hit Marlin 1.1.6 then I cannot get it to work correctly. Marlin 1.1.6 will run once maybe twice then will not boot again.
And then it takes forever to get a re-flash back to Marlin 1.1.5 to work correctly. So I have stopped at marlin 1.1.5

Good Luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 04:22PM by Roberts_Clif.
December 19, 2017 06:15PM
Roberts_Clif
All Marlin 1.1.X worked fine for me until I hit Marlin 1.1.6 then I cannot get it to work correctly. Marlin 1.1.6 will run once maybe twice then will not boot again.
And then it takes forever to get a re-flash back to Marlin 1.1.5 to work correctly. So I have stopped at marlin 1.1.5

Good Luck.

Roberts_Clif... What controller board are you using? And which Arduino are you using? We have seen some issues with certain combinations of firmware, electronics and Arduino....
December 19, 2017 07:33PM
I have a MPX.3 or Base v1.3 Hictop

And I stopped after flashing and refused to boot, re-flashed to Marlin 1.1.5 and stayed.
Kind of afraid if I Flash Marlin 1.1.6 again will brick the Controller.

It really works well here unless something great is added will most likely stay with Marlin 1.1.5.
Of course if some else flashes there MPX.3 and works may try with there settings.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 07:43PM by Roberts_Clif.
December 19, 2017 08:24PM
This may not be the right place to get help... But at the GitHub MarlinFirmware forum, there are experts that can get a boot loader onto any AVR board.

I've never needed to do that. But if I kill the boot loader, I'm confident somebody there will have both what I need and the instructions to fix the board.

I don't think you need to worry about killing the board.
December 19, 2017 08:45PM
On a AVR If your uploading firmware via a bootloader (ie not using a ISP programmer) you cant brick it!

Its deigned that way

ie in that mode you cannot overwrite the boot loader and you cant change the mpu fuses. Its idiot proof.
December 19, 2017 11:01PM
Dust... Do you have any ideas why his board can flash Marlin v1.6 once but then gets sick?
December 20, 2017 04:52AM
I'm wondering if its getting upset at the contents of your eeprom (it is separate from the flash memory were you upload the firmware)

Its easy enough to erase the eeprom you just make a sketch to do it

Or it just didnt upload correctly, this can happen

Or your board is actually half dead, and the new firmware is triggering a fault (eg using a bit of ram unused before that doesn't work)
December 20, 2017 08:08AM
Dust
On a AVR If your uploading firmware via a bootloader (ie not using a ISP programmer) you cant brick it!

Its deigned that way

ie in that mode you cannot overwrite the boot loader and you cant change the mpu fuses. Its idiot proof.

If you brick it Via firmware Bootloader, Can't you still recover using a ISP programmer. Reloading a Bootloader then the Firmware again or is my thinking wrong.
December 20, 2017 09:46PM
If you do damage your boot loader somehow (maybe put it in a microwave) then yes you can upload new bootloader with a ISP and set the appropriate fuses (boot loader size for eg)

Most common real bricking happen when you change the fuses to change the oscillator multiplier resulting in non standard baud rates.
This is still recoverable, but you have to hack on an appropriate oscillator get you the real baudrates again, this could take some guessing if you dont know what was set

But I repeat, you cant brick it via the firmware bootloader. Only a ISP has the ability to change data in the boot area.
No matter what mess of binary firmware you may upload, the boot loader will still be fine and run on next board reboot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login