Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin and Anet LCD12864 Installation Confusion

Posted by Rob4666 
Marlin and Anet LCD12864 Installation Confusion
December 08, 2018 01:56PM
Hello all. Here's my senario:

I am using an Arduino Mega 2560 and a Ramps 1.4 for a newly built 3D printer. The control board I am using is an Anet LCD12864.
I tried just un-commenting it in the firmware but all it does is glow and beep. I switched Exp1 and Exp2 and then got nothing. This controll board does not have a SD card slot which is fine as I am going to control this printer with Octoprint.

Here's my confusion:

I took this information from the Marlin Firmware.

ANET and Tronxy Graphical Controller

#define ANET_FULL_GRAPHICS_LCD // Anet 128x64 full graphics lcd with rotary encoder as used on Anet A6
// A clone of the RepRapDiscount full graphics display but with
// different pins/wiring (see pins_ANET_10.h).

The information above sent me to the following information:

* Anet V1.0 board pin assignments
*/

/**
* Rev B 16 JUN 2017
* 1) no longer uses Sanguino files to define some of the pins
* 2) added pointers to useable Arduino IDE extensions
*/

/**
* The standard Arduino IDE extension (board manager) for this board
* is located at [github.com].
* Installation instructions are on that page.
* After copying the files to the appropriate location, restart Arduino and
* you'll see "Anet V1.0" and "Anet V1.0 (Optiboot)" in the boards list.
* "Anet V1.0" uses the bootloader that was installed on the board when
* it shipped from the factory.
* "Anet V1.0 (Optiboot)" frees up another 3K of FLASH. You'll need to burn
* a new bootloader to the board to be able to automatically download a
* compiled image.

This information sent me to this information:

Introduction

This project provides a board definition which enables the Arduino IDE to compile firmware (such as Marlin) for Anet 3D printers. It is used in the SkyNet3D Marlin distribution for Anet printers, but can be used independently to, for example, build Marlin from source.
Installation Instructions

Copy the included 'anet' folder into the 'hardware' folder of your Arduino installation.

1. Download the most recent version from the 1.8.x branch of the Arduino IDE from [www.arduino.cc]
2. Download a zip file of the master branch of this project using the 'Clone or Download' button
3. Install the Arduino IDE using the default options

Then:

Windows

1. Open your Documents folder in Windows Explorer
2. Open the Arduino folder, then the hardware sub-folder. If neither of these folders exist, create them.
3. Open the anet-board zip file you downloaded in step 2 and copy the 'anet' folder into Documents\Arduino\hardware

OS X

1. Click on "Documents" in Finder and look for the Arduino directory inside it. The full path is ~/Documents/Arduino/hardware
2. Open the anet-board zip file you downloaded in step 2 and copy the 'anet' folder into ~/Documents/Arduino/hardware

Using the Board Definition

1. Open the Arduino IDE
2. Open the Tools->Board menu and select either of the Anet V1.0 boards
3. Open the Tools->Port menu and select the appropiate COM port (the one which appeared when you plugged your printer into a USB port)

Note: The Optiboot board option is highly recommended as the Optiboot bootloader uses much less space than the standard Atmega 1284p bootloader, allowing more flash space for the firmware. If you choose to use the Optiboot option you MUST burn the Optiboot bootloader before uploading firmware, otherwise you risk overwriting the bootloader.

When uploading firmware, use Sketch->Upload (Ctrl+U), which uploads over the USB connection, not Sketch->Upload Using Programmer (unless you're actually using an Arduino programmer and know what you're doing).
Burning the Bootloader

Burning the bootloader to the board requires either an Arduino programmed as an ISP, or a USBasp. The programmer is connected to the middle six pins of the J3 connector on the Anet v1.0 board.

Burning the bootloader to an Arduino always erases the flash memory. Once the bootloader has been burned using a programmer the programmer should be disconnected and firmware uploaded using the serial-over-USB connection.

With the programmer connected:

1. Launch the Arduino IDE
2. Select the appropriate board from the Tools->Boards menu - either Anet V1.0 or Anet V1.0 (Optiboot)
3. Click Tools -> Burn Bootloader
4. The board will reset when complete, and the LCD display will be blank

Assuming there were no errors, at this point the firmware has been erased and will need to be re-uploaded. The programmer should be disconnected.

I'm now totally confused. Do I load the printer firmware and then the Anet or vise versa? Any ideas?

Thanks to the community for providing any help to this newbie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 01:58PM by Rob4666.
Re: Marlin and Anet LCD12864 Installation Confusion
June 23, 2019 07:27AM
I’m currently in this same situation of trying to configure my Anet V1.7 board to work with the RepRapDiscount smart controller. Where you able to figure out how to get it working correctly? I’ve looked all over and see so many different descriptions of how to do this that I’m totally confused...
Re: Marlin and Anet LCD12864 Installation Confusion
June 23, 2019 11:01AM
To reconfigure a real Anet contoler board you need to do the following. (the original poster having a RAMPS and not a Anet board should start at 5)
This is the recommended way which installs a bootloader so it is easy to upload new firmware over USB in the future... If you like to torture yourself you can choose not to install the boot loader, but then you need an arduino ISP plugged in each and every time you want to upload new firmware.

1) Install the anet printer board definitions from [github.com] into the arduino IDE (this also adds the bootloader binaries to the arduino IDE)

2) In the arduino IDE you select the Anet V1.0 (Optiboot) as your board type

3) Burn the opti bootloader to you board using either an Arduino programmed as an ISP, or a USBasp (the extra hardware is required)

4) Disconnect the Arduino programmed as an ISP, or a USBasp and plug your board directly into the computers USB port.

5) Download marlin, load it into Arduino IDE, Configure it as needed, compile and upload to your board.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2019 11:18AM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login