Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Geeetech i3 Pro W with Marlin 1.1.9

Posted by ricocamus 
Geeetech i3 Pro W with Marlin 1.1.9
March 27, 2019 03:13AM
Has anyone out there updated their Geeetech firmware with the latest Marlin code?

I am thinking about updating the firmware of my Geeetech i3 Pro W with the latest Marlin code (1.1.9), downloaded from marlinfw.org, to get around issues with errors from unsupported code when compiling with the latest Arduino IDE (1.8.5). I've also seen comments on this forum about the unreliability of the software mods coming out of Geeetech so I am hoping this update will correct things.

I noticed that the latest Marlin firmware provides a set of configuration_adv.h and configuration.h files in the examples folder of the Marlin firmware, so am pretty hopeful.

Any feedback on actual experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

I am using a Geeetech i3 Pro W with the code from Geeetech. I have modified it to include an auto-leveling sensor, also from Geeetech, and modified the firmware as indicated in the instructions to enable auto-leveling.

Many thanks in advance.
Re: Geeetech i3 Pro W with Marlin 1.1.9
August 24, 2023 02:51PM
Hey there ricocamus, I am attempting to update my pro W and was wondering if you had gotten the code to work for you? I am attempting to get the latest 2.1 marlin firmware installed but want to make sure itll work out and even understand how to make it work, thanks in advance!
August 24, 2023 05:49PM
Try starting with this example config. The label says "I3_Pro_X-GT2560" so you may need to adjust some of the parameters.
August 24, 2023 07:13PM
Awesome, thanks! I'll take a look and try getting it running. Only issue I can see is getting confused with the auto bed leveling. Do you just need to enable the bl touch by deleting the comment out in the config file?
August 24, 2023 08:54PM
Yes, deleting the // enables the option.

Well you be using the BLTouch for homing? If yes, then enable USE_PROBE_FOR_Z_HOMING.

Connecting the BLTouch to the motherboard can be tricky. There are variations of the GT2560 motherboard which affect the connectors that are available. If you provide the revision info of your motherboard I should be able to see what connectors should be used.
August 24, 2023 10:42PM
Yup I will be using it for homing the grid, I have it connected on the motherboard in the Z min and Z Max connectors. It is the GT2560 Revision A+
August 25, 2023 06:01AM
The A+ should have a 3 pin header between the GT icon and the thermal inputs. That's where the 3 pin part of the BLTouch should be connected.

The 2 pin section of the BLTouch is usually connected to the ZMIN endstop. In this case Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN must be enabled.
August 25, 2023 08:48PM
OK sounds good to me, again thanks so much for the help, I know I sound like a complete newbie at this, just very hard for me to understand this code as there is so much to go through and I know my printer is pretty old at this point. Does this enable the probing for the 9 point grid for homing? That has been my main point wanting to do this upgrade
August 26, 2023 02:54AM
So I got the whole code to upload to my printer successfully however now it wont deploy my bl touch pin, any clue as to the cause?
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (137 KB)
August 26, 2023 02:58AM
Yes, this will enable automated probing for things like 9 point and UBL.

There's still lots of new 2560 systems being shipped. It can power/handle just about anything except high speed delta printers. Your system has many more years of life before the software outgrows the FLASH available in the 2560.
August 26, 2023 04:49AM
bltouch is effectively two parts a servo and a switch

The 3 pin part is the servo and it is in charge of deployment and retraction

On BOARD_GT2560_REV_A_PLUS this is pin 11
ie '#define SERVO0_PIN 11' in Marlin/src/pins/mega/pins_GT2560_REV_A_PLUS.h

The internet says it should be connected like so... the yellow pin is on io pin 11

August 26, 2023 10:00AM
awesome, that got it working! however now I am confused why it is saying in the terminal "g29 not recognized" which is kinda weird
August 26, 2023 11:13AM
you enabled bltouch, that just tells marlin that hardware is there not what you want to do with it

you also have USE_PROBE_FOR_Z_HOMING which is a good start

but to actually do bed leveling you need to enable a bed leveling system.

Ie one of these

//#define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_3POINT
//#define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_LINEAR
//#define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR
//#define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_UBL
//#define MESH_BED_LEVELING

See [marlinfw.org]

you also need to setup all of these correctly, or it will try and probe off bed

#define NOZZLE_TO_PROBE_OFFSET { 10, 10, 0 }
#define X_BED_SIZE 200
#define Y_BED_SIZE 200

// Travel limits (linear=mm, rotational=°) after homing, corresponding to endstop positions.
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define X_MAX_POS X_BED_SIZE + 0
#define Y_MAX_POS Y_BED_SIZE + 0

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2023 11:16AM by Dust.
August 26, 2023 07:19PM
Ok got it now, thanks for all the help! Feel like a total noob as forgot to send M500 to clear the old EEPROM settings. I'll post up my config her for if anyone else has a Geeetech Prusa I3 Pro W so they can do a few simple adjustments to get theirs going too much easier with Marlin 2.1.X
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (137 KB)
October 19, 2023 03:46AM
i really appreciate your work, but when i send my gcode to the printer it did not print.
should i edit the configuration_adv.h file as well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2023 03:47AM by mamrezo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login