Upgrading configuration.h and cofiguration_adv.h
June 20, 2019 02:54PM
Hello,
I'd like to upgrade my clone Prusa i3's firmware, by myself, because the producer is not supplying the new Marlin files smiling smiley so I downloaded the 1.1.9 version and opened comparison mode on npp and tried to modify it but there are some lines added/removed so I didn't want to go further since any wrong modifications will cost me a lot. I've done some research on marlinfw.org and found an interesting feature using SanityCheck.h, MarlinFW/configuration says "To use configurations from an earlier version of Marlin, try dropping them into the newer Marlin and building. As part of the build process, the SanityCheck.h will print helpful error messages explaining what needs to be changed." but instead of providing "helpful error messages" it says "You are using an old Configuration.h file, update it before building Marlin." because the file version is really old confused smiley. Anyway, comparing and SanityCheck.h didn't work. Is there a way to convert Marlin1.0 configuration.h to Marlin1.1.9 configuration.h file without requiring high level of engineering knowledge.
Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2019 02:55PM by akkaygin.
Re: Upgrading configuration.h and cofiguration_adv.h
June 20, 2019 05:59PM
The best way is probably to compare your configuration file with the base 1.0 configuration file (https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/blob/1.0.x/Marlin/Configuration.h). That will help you determine what changed from the default settings which are probably not going to be a lot of changes. Then you can make those changes one by one in the 1.1.9 configuration file.
June 20, 2019 10:57PM
I'm trying to do the exact same thing as you are, while I've ran into lots of problems along the way, I'm at a point where is seems to be working.
I'm not sure what you mean by "any wrong modifications will cost me a lot", if you configure it wrong and it does some thing weird, cut off the power, change the configuration and try again. (basically what i'm doing, lot of trail and error)

unless your stock fw is highly customized and extremely different from vanilla marlin, you should be able to read thru the stock fw configurations line by line, and figure out where the values go in the new fw.
high level of engineering knowledge isn't really needed to be honest, while some setting names have changed, they should still mean the same thing when you read it, if in doubt, google is your friend.

A good starting point is to start watching youtube tutorial online, some videos explain how to configure marlin very well, follow along with the video, change the values to what you think they should be, test it, if something goes wrong, start consulting the stock fw configurations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2019 11:02PM by evo85210.
June 21, 2019 07:13AM
Thanks for the replies,
It looks like there is no other way than comparing the files, more detailed, and adding a power switch to my printer.
Again, thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login