Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Want to Confirm 0,0 Location for Nozzle

Posted by jdebuhr 
Want to Confirm 0,0 Location for Nozzle
February 11, 2020 09:34PM
I have had my printer for a month, everything works now, printed some items with no issues and now I am looking into Auto Bed Leveling. I have a sensor and mounted it but most stuff I see says 0,0 (X,Y) is the front Left of the printer, however if I home my printer the 0,0 is the back right. Is this wrong?

Now if my position of 0,0 being back right is okay, I would guess is the bed sensor is closer to the front and then to the right of the Nozzle, the X would be negative and the Y would be Positive. Is that correct? I have been reading ont he settings an see I need to set safe homing as well as in the 0,0 the probe is hanging off the bed.

Am I on the right track?
Re: Want to Confirm 0,0 Location for Nozzle
February 11, 2020 10:01PM
0,0 is front left on most Cartesian printers

It will technically work with 0,0, at back right, but you need to virtually rotate the printer 180 degrees mentally for all coordinates and it gets really confusing really fast.
Way easier is just turn your printer around and look at it from the back when working out offsets etc..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 10:02PM by Dust.
February 11, 2020 10:12PM
So a normal set up.. if 0,0 is the front left where would the bed be sitting along with the X axis? Maybe I am confused and not clear myself.

When I auto home, bed moves all the way to the front, z moves down and x moves to back right..

If I manually move the X 50 it moves left, if I manually move Y +50 it starts moving back..

So what if any thing is opposite or wrong?

So I found this:
#define INVERT_X_DIR false
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false

Ironically Z is fine but the X and Y are backwards (to me) as I believe the Y is moving right, but thinks it is inverted.. and the X is inverted but software think it isn't..

Edit #2.. Found my original firmware I had (marlin 1.1.6) it was defined this way:

#define INVERT_X_DIR true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true

that makes senses which would say that my X 0 would be on the right and x max would be left.

I might just set everything to false in the firmware and change the wiring of the steppers to run correctly, then move my X min to the left. This way I am not thrown off by the inversions

Then everything would be clear to me

Edit 3.. forgot to add.. original setup had a Ramps board.. current setup has a RAMBo 1.3 which explains why some of the Axis are changed/differnet

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 11:06PM by jdebuhr.
February 12, 2020 01:21AM
"When I auto home, bed moves all the way to the front, z moves down and x moves to back right.."

X and Y is backwards from standard.

I suspect you have endstop at the right of X and at the front of Y.
These should be configured as X-MAX and Y-MAX, with homing set to #define X_HOME_DIR 1 and #define Y_HOME_DIR 1

" 0,0 is the front left where would the bed be sitting along with the X axis" X would be left and Y would be back.
February 12, 2020 08:09AM
Dust
"When I auto home, bed moves all the way to the front, z moves down and x moves to back right.."

X and Y is backwards from standard.

I suspect you have endstop at the right of X and at the front of Y.
These should be configured as X-MAX and Y-MAX, with homing set to #define X_HOME_DIR 1 and #define Y_HOME_DIR 1

" 0,0 is the front left where would the bed be sitting along with the X axis" X would be left and Y would be back.

Yes, Thanks for the clarification. I will adjust everything int he firmware and load it. once I have it moving the correct way I will then look at the bed probe.

So if the probe , in relation to the nozzle, is closer to the front and to the right of the nozzle then the values will be -Y and +X as offsets.

I switched to an aluminum bed and I will end up swapping to a metal frame of some sort..
February 13, 2020 04:24PM
Fixed.. Table to front and Nozzle to right.. coordinates are now 200x200x0
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login