Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Servo motor instead of extruder stepper motor

Posted by Muldoon 
Servo motor instead of extruder stepper motor
October 20, 2020 04:59PM
I'm currently in the process of making a pancake printer using Marlin and RepRap. Instead of using a stepper motor for the extruder, is it possible to use a servo motor? The servo motor would rotate and open the dispensing mechanism to distribute the batter. The mechanism would then rotate back to close of the dispensing process.
VDX
Re: Servo motor instead of extruder stepper motor
October 20, 2020 06:15PM
... there are servo-drivers, controlled with STEP+DIR similar to steppers (they handle the encoder internally) - so for the controller board no difference to steppers.

I've built a 3-axis CNC with an common stepper-controller and 3 UHU servo-drivers with this "STEP+DIR" behaviour winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: Servo motor instead of extruder stepper motor
October 21, 2020 11:09AM
I forgot to mention that I have a RAMPS board, I don't know how that affects anything...
I am also using Malrin 1.1.x since with Marlin 2.0 I am getting an exception because the path is too long (which I should be able to fix).
Is the STEP+DIR able to be accomplished with a 3-wire servo? Is there any documentation on setting it up?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login