Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fan shutting off after 12 minutes.

Posted by rew 
rew
Fan shutting off after 12 minutes.
February 14, 2022 04:23PM
I've made a machine that has a lot of 3D printer components. One of them is a controllerboard running Marlin.

It is a foam cutter: The machine doesn't have Z or E axes.

I've wired the hotwire to the FAN output. Thus I use M106 S80 to turn it on (that's about the right PWM value. When I'm sure I never want more I might adjust the hardware to make this a 100% setting).

So to do a cutting job, at the start I send an M106 S80, then issue the cutting moves and at the end there is an M107 to turn it off.

The problem is that after 12 minutes the controller seems to turn off the "fam PWM" something like a timeout. I've tried chaning the speed setting from 80 to 81 and back to give it a confirmation that I'm doing something but still it turns off after 12 minutes.

On the latest run I've put an M107 M106S80 in the middle and now it seems to turn off after 5 minutes. weird.

Anybody know why there would be something like a timeout on the fan ?

Update: We figured it out.
M106 S0 and M107 commands are interpreted immediately out-of-sequence with the rest of the moves. My gcode is compact, the cutting speed slow, so about 4 minutes from the end of the job, the M107 at the end is sent and interpreted immediately.
I have now moved the M107 into the octoprint "job done" script, and now it works as expected.
With the M106 S0 , there is CERTAINLY a difference between documented behaviour and actual behaviour: The command is supposed to execute synchronously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2022 05:10PM by rew.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login