Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DuetWiFi Fan MOSFET

Posted by Masterjuggler 
DuetWiFi Fan MOSFET
September 29, 2016 01:39PM
What mosfets are being used for the fans on the DuetWiFi?

I managed to blow the one on PWM Fan2 after plugging a fan in backward, but it doesn't look like it should be much trouble to replace with decent soldering skills. The only identification I can get from them is "WK8 61" which doesn't help much using Google.
Attachments:
open | download - duetwifi blown mosfet smaller.jpg (598.3 KB)
Re: DuetWiFi Fan MOSFET
September 29, 2016 03:42PM
According to the schematic that should be a PMV40UN2
September 29, 2016 04:52PM
Thanks, I appreciate it. I looked for a schematic of the DuetWiFi before, but could only find for the 0.6 and the 0.8.5.

Well, at least now we know that the processor does't also blow along with the MOSFETs like it did on the previous boards, haha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 04:53PM by Masterjuggler.
September 29, 2016 05:04PM
Masterjuggler
Thanks, I appreciate it. I looked for a schematic of the DuetWiFi before, but could only find for the 0.6 and the 0.8.5.

Well, at least now we know that the processor does't also blow along with the MOSFETs like it did on the previous boards, haha.

You can find the Duet WiFi design files at [github.com].

I added some extra resistors in the Duet WiFi design to protect the processor in the event of a fan short circuit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 05:07PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 01, 2016 06:56PM
I blew TR5 PMV40UN2 mosfet (FAN0 ) of my Duet 0.8.5 .

In my country I can get IRLML0030TRPbF mosfet ( [www.infineon.com] )

Can I use it as replacement?
October 01, 2016 07:36PM
demonio669
I blew TR5 PMV40UN2 mosfet (FAN0 ) of my Duet 0.8.5 .

In my country I can get IRLML0030TRPbF mosfet ( [www.infineon.com] )

Can I use it as replacement?

I don't recommend it, because the on-resistance of that mosfet is only specified down to 4.5V gate drive. The PMV40UN2 is specified down to 1.8V gate drive, which makes it much more suitable for use with the 3.3V nominal gate drive voltage that it gets in this application.

You can buy PMV40UN2 from Farnell/Newark/Element 14, RS, Digikey, Mouser etc.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 03, 2016 05:55PM
Thank You! I buy from Digikey, hope they arrive to my country!
October 04, 2016 12:39AM
In my infinite wisdom, I managed to also blow PWM Fan1, after already ordering from digikey eye rolling smiley

Luckily, I know exactly just how dumb I am, and ordered four MOSFETs. Not like I've been through the pain of having to order parts a second time due to not getting spares, on multiple occasions *whistles innocently*.

Anyhow, soldered the new ones in, tested, and they work perfectly. For whatever reason, they have "WK8 59" written on them, as opposed to the "WK8 61" on the originals. I've no idea why, but they work, so fine by me.

EDIT:
To anyone who wants to attempt this: All you need is a sharpened piece of copper wire wrapped around a standard soldering iron to act as a fine tip, some flux to make life easier, and for the older ones among us, a good macroscope (I didn't bother). Wasn't that crazy.

Do practice on something else first, as this is essentially micro soldering, what with the SMDs being smaller than grains of rice. I do wholeheartedly endorse trying this on your own, and I think the world would be a better place if everyone tried fixing crap instead of buying new like helpless pansies. That being said, you are responsible for your own actions, and you don't even know my real name, so no blaming anything on me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2016 12:46AM by Masterjuggler.
October 04, 2016 02:56AM
Maybe I should sell spare parts kits for the benefit of those who find parts hard to get. Something like a pack of 3 fan MOSFETs and 3 of the SMD fuses used on the Duet WiFi.

October 04, 2016 10:24AM
I think that sounds like a pretty good idea. Either that, or a section on the wiki with a parts list and where to get them internationally for the most destroyed parts, like the MOSFETs. I don't know if you think it would be a good idea to also have a tutorial on the wiki for how to replace them, written you you, me, or someone else.
October 04, 2016 02:46PM
I've added part numbers and suppliers to the wiki page at [duet3d.com].

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login