Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Solidoodle - any one try it?

Posted by owism8 
Solidoodle - any one try it?
October 08, 2011 07:52AM
Hi all,

as usual before purchasing a 3d printer , did anyone try the solidoodle? [www.solidoodle.com]

Thanks for feedback
Re: Solidoodle - any one try it?
October 08, 2011 01:16PM
Seems like a good place to start for the price.
Its going to be like a makerbotstrap if you will.
If your knowledgeable in electronics and general building stuff, i would recommend building one your self.
I learned and am still learning.
The best part is that since i built it, i noticed things i didnt like about the design and re-engineered as i built.
for example the prusa design has one smooth rod for support on the Z axis, i added one for more rigidity.
also, when you start printing and you see that there is a problem with the out put of the printer, its easier to troubleshoot the issue knowing how it was built and such,
I have got the hardware side *almost* were i want it.
the real trick is in the software.
the best hardware is still controlled by some finicky software.
just some thoughts.
-E
October 08, 2011 01:50PM
thanks for your input. Ive also built one, a huxley from techzone, Im looking into this mroe for schools who want one fully built.

I wanted to see if anyone tried it out?
October 08, 2011 11:35PM
I don't think any have been shipped yet. Looks like the only one in the wild is the prototype.
October 09, 2011 07:28AM
i see, ok tahnks!
erickphd
December 03, 2011 09:01PM
According to the latest information from them, the first batch will be shipping December 14. I have one in the first group and if they are shipped on time I should have it in hand by December 18 so I'll be sure to get back with some evaluation comments.

owism8 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi all,
>
> as usual before purchasing a 3d printer , did
> anyone try the solidoodle?
> [www.solidoodle.com]
>
> Thanks for feedback
December 03, 2011 09:36PM
Thanks I appreciate it! video would be great too. Please give detail on hotend, speed, and printbed.

thanks again!
December 08, 2011 06:55PM
Hey all,

Laura from Solidoodle here. Thought I'd chime in and answer your questions. The nitty gritty:

Speed: feed rate 50mm/sec
flow rate 2.4 with 1/16th step microstepping
Printbed: acrylic
Hotend: .35 mm brass nozzle with nichrome/ceramic heat core

We are hard at work getting this round of printers shipped, but as soon as we get these puppies in the mail, we will make an awesome start-to-finish video of the Solidoodle and post it on our blog. Until then, check out this time-lapse video of a Solidoodle printing a skull:
[www.youtube.com]

Do let me know if you have more questions--I'm here!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2011 06:57PM by Lauradoodle.
December 08, 2011 08:47PM
I received my Solidoodle about a week ago and have been banging out prints every since. You can see a Solidoodle print of the vica illusion sculpture at [www.thingiverse.com] thing:5700 as the print by tc_fea.

I printed some other stuff but haven't posted it yet.

It's very quiet compared to my old bot and with the newer technology print head and micro stepping motors, the print is smoother.

I really like the self adjusting print head that never needs to be adjusted to get the right clamp force on the plastic feed filament.

I've been printing so much stuff, I ordered more plastic so I would not run out during the holidays. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login