Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Rostock MAX

Posted by johnoly99 
Re: New Rostock MAX
September 17, 2012 06:24PM
Oh sure. I just didn't think of it. (was going to use a standard nut clamped version) I actually probably have some I scavenged off equipment we were gutting/rebuilding a few years back when I did that sort of thing for a living...

Yep, as I suspected. being a borderline packrat has it's advantages. thanks again for the idea. Far better than using something I need a wrench for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2012 06:25PM by xiando.
Attachments:
open | download - pneumatic_conns.png (67.3 KB)
September 19, 2012 06:58PM
Just to let you know, I'll be on ustream tonight finishing wiring up the RAMBo board. Johnny @ UltiMachine helped finish off getting the firmware working, it's a combination of Johann's Rostock Delta and tonokips RAMBo supported Marlin. Stop in and chat, ask ?'s, and hang out!

[ustream.tv]
September 22, 2012 11:10AM
Printing live again

[ustream.tv]
skm
September 22, 2012 10:20PM
Thanks for showing me the Rostock at the shop today.

The only concern I have about the bearings is that the radii on cheap bearings are put on when they are still soft.
Then they are heat treated, and then ground on the bearing surfaces.

The radii on the corners do not get ground at all after heat treat with cheaper bearings.

If you are *lucky*, the unground chamfers and the ground surfaces are concentric, but I would not think that is the case all the time--I have installed bearings in machinery that the radii were visibly out of round. Only affected clearance in the corner of the mating part, and a little bit of starting them straight.

Maybe with good modern bearing manufacture, you get lucky most of the time, and this method is good enough.

The thought I had was converting the 2-point per bearing contact to 2-line per bearing contact.
With this design you have 2 points of contact between each bearing and the rail.

As I mentioned earlier today, if you put the bearings in a whirly grinding fixture on a surface grinder, on a sine plate,
you could grind little 45 degree angle chamfers on the bearings, probably a couple per minute. My whirly is a suburban Mastergrind and takes a 5c collet in the center, so a soft step collet makes the grinding go fast.

In addition, if you take the extrusion to a mill, put it in 3 vises or so, and use a carbide woodruff cutter sharpened to make 45 degree angles so you can do all 4 chamfers on a piece of extrusion's tee slots in one setup, you would convert the bearing surface from two point contact to two *line* contact. Line contact would be better in a couple of ways.

Not everybody has a mill or a grinder to accurize their extrusions, maybe they will have to break down and expand their circle of friends (say, print something for the machinist in your life once you are up and running).

I'm just saying the idea is to convert it to line contact instead of point contact.

I saw it printing today and it is better than any other 3d printer I have even read about. Loved the good finish on that spiral part!

I guess the idea I have in my mind is that a linear delta platform has different ways that things can be out of kilter compared to a cartesian coordinate printer, and how I will be going about finding and correcting them. Learn by experience I guess-- what you have built there is working just fine, so maybe I am worrying about nothing important.

Like you said today, everything can always be made better.

I'm really impressed with the flatness you have there (.0005" over the printing area)--that is awesome.
I can't wait till you get in production.
September 23, 2012 04:55AM
I like what I see but I am not entirely sure what it is that I am seeing. What did we do move from a horizontal machine to a vertical one? How would that play with most printed parts being wider and deeper than they are tall?
September 23, 2012 07:50AM
Dark Alchemist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How would that play with most printed parts
> being wider and deeper than they are tall?

There's this ancient, arcane transformation called "rotation", you know winking smiley

Seriously, though, the "aspect ratio" of the machine isn't as outlandish as it might seem at first glance.
First of all, it's more a case of the actual shape of the machine being much taller than wider/deeper, than the build volume (although it is taller than the norm, or so it seems).
And second, deltas need to have more extra space on the Z axis to be able to move the gantry in X-Y (because they do it by varying the difference between the 3 or 4 arm heights) - which doesn't necessarily make that extra Z axis travel usable.
September 23, 2012 08:06AM
LOL, I knew someone was going to say rotation, but seriously I don't get why people are going gaga over this as I see it having a pretty big limitation. First it looks like the bed is way smaller so I am forced into make thin and long objects but if my object were say 20cmx20cmx15cm (w,l,h)then no matter how you slice it and dice it and rotate it that rostock doesn't look like it will be able to handle it.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
September 23, 2012 08:53AM
Bed size is 20x20, but workable area is 30ish cm diameter.
And height is 35cm.

As the first post clearly states.
September 23, 2012 09:01AM
Well, that is pretty nice indeed and wow that height of 35cm is just phenomenal but I could have sworn I saw something recently of this huge spider thing that could print 10 or 12 inches if not more (this sucker was very tall) on Youtube or something.

btw, if the bed size is 20x20 how is the workable area 30cm diameter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2012 09:03AM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
September 23, 2012 09:16AM
Dark Alchemist Wrote:
> btw, if the bed size is 20x20 how is the workable
> area 30cm diameter?

There are no circular, 30cm diameter beds.
Hence - it's using a standard 20x20 bed, but it can swing the gantry within a 30cm diameter circle.

(and since the diagonal of a 20x20 square is approx. 28cm, the circle covers the surface of a standard HBP fine)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2012 09:20AM by orcinus.
September 23, 2012 09:20AM
Dark, the beds we are using are the ones we happen to have for our H printers. We are going to be making a roundish heated bed that more accurately depicts the primtable area. Its not a perfect circle, its a circle with a bowed out triangle rotated between the arms. There are holes to mount two of the Phebe PCB beds we use sideways too. But, hopefully we eill have the roumd PCBs next month.

Btw, three days till we leave for NY makerfaire, anyone gonna be there?
September 23, 2012 09:21AM
Oh, I gotcha so the bed could do a T and lets say the vertical line of the T is 20cm x 20cm and the horizontal part is 30cm it could do it, or am I still not understanding?

btw, do you know of that huge spider printer thing I was mentioning cause it looked like a rostock but more primitive looking.

_______
September 23, 2012 09:23AM
Dark Alchemist Wrote:
> Oh, I gotcha so the bed could do a T and lets say
> the vertical line of the T is 20cm x 20cm and the
> horizontal part is 30cm it could do it, or am I
> still not understanding?

No. More like a fat Y with 15cm "arms".
(at least i think)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2012 09:24AM by orcinus.
September 23, 2012 09:25AM
You got it. The simple build volume answer not counting the heated bed or the odd shape at the true max is appx 200 ( larger in some areas ) and 350mm tall.
September 23, 2012 09:27AM
Well, if rotated anyways. Lol. You can move 125mm from the center of the bed straight towards any of the three t slot columns
September 23, 2012 09:30AM
Yeah, that's what i've meant. Really fat Y with "arms" centerlines rotated 60 degrees off the centerlines of the delta's arms.
September 23, 2012 09:32AM
Alright I am lost.

Do you, by chance, have anything more detailed and closer up than the first picture I could examine? I am intrigued now cause I am lost amongst all of these trees in this forest, lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2012 09:32AM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
September 23, 2012 09:34AM
Indiegogo.com/rostosckmax

Look in the gallery section. Im going to start uploading a ton to flickr too here shortly
September 23, 2012 09:35AM
Alrighty I am off to go check that link out and let us know the link to the flickr page too. smiling smiley

Ahem -> The page you are looking for is no longer available or has been moved.

To look further, enter a search in the top right corner of this page or send us Feedback if you think you reached this page in error.

Did a search and [www.indiegogo.com] is yours?

WHOA, that is some crazy cool stuff I just watched. How many motors does that thing have anyway? I like how there is no gantry or bed moving but I will be darned if I understand how it is doing X,Y, and Z movement from that video.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2012 09:42AM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
September 23, 2012 09:43AM
Yes, I will be at makerfaire. Yours is one of the first booths I am visiting.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
September 23, 2012 09:46AM
I watched [www.youtube.com] and I heard a lot of straining that, to my ears, is not a good sound for motors to be making. Maybe we need bigger motors with more torque for this type of printer? The hack he was talking about is that in the driver board already?

_______
September 23, 2012 09:49AM
This is what i've meant (simplified/overexaggerated).
Attachments:
open | download - Platform.jpg (36.7 KB)
September 23, 2012 09:50AM
LOL, looks like a nuclear reactor symbol.

What size motors (and torque) will you be using on the max?

_______
September 23, 2012 09:54AM
Take a look at ours.

[www.youtube.com]

We had a 5lb toolholder sitting on the hotend olatform, and it moved just as well. The motors arent straininng, every one move in cartesian is split into 200 segments for the delta math. So motors sound a little different running all those diff moves.
September 23, 2012 09:55AM
Nema 17s, they are appx 4000g/cm torque. Were using GT2 and 15 tooth pulleys.
September 23, 2012 10:05AM
I wonder how long those will last in that video you posted? I have only heard motors doing that which are straining and their life span is greatly reduced.

_______
September 23, 2012 10:09AM
Well, atepper motors dont really "strain" they skip. With the RAMPS board i was running them with normal current settings on the pots, slightly less actually, and with the RAMBo boards you assign a pwm to control the current, and Im running 185, whuch equals appx 1amp going into the motors, which are rated for more than that by far
September 23, 2012 10:17AM
Interesting. Could you explain what that straining noise is are am I just hearing the motors spinning/stepping up and down since I hear no bearing noise at all. Vibration noise seems nonexistent as well.

17HS19-2004S (59Ncm(83.6oz.in) holding torque) would that be an overkill since we aren't even holding any real weight? Where is the stepper motor at for the extruder as I am not seeing it.

_______
September 23, 2012 10:23AM
The straining on Johanns might be the plastic printed arms and their joints. Outs are cnc machined and injection molded. Our motor is mounted on the white pc off to the left, above the spool
September 23, 2012 10:30AM
Ahhh, where that man's hand is. Hmmm, that is a large distance to be shoving but heck, it works. smiling smiley

_______
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login