Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does Slic3r Need a Raft Feature To Be Taken Seriously?... eye rolling smiley I Think So

Posted by Idolcrasher 
Does Slic3r Need a Raft Feature To Be Taken Seriously?... eye rolling smiley I Think So
November 17, 2012 01:43PM
Slic3r 0.9.5 is out grinning smiley

Be sure to grab it! A big thanks to Sound for the new version.

I am looking to rally support for a raft feature to be added to Slic3r.

If you would like to see a raft feature added to Slic3r, please make a post on this feature request on Slic3r's GitHub page.

To me, 3D printing with a hobby-printer is akin to an art form (like clay sculpting).

In fact, silly as it sounds, I find very little of the process to be "automatic."

It is more like a manual process that takes a lot of time to see the results of your actions! winking smiley

Just like any artist I would like access to the tools of that trade.

Not every painting uses the largest or smallest brushes; Not every sculpture uses the same set of chisels.

A raft is simply a tool a hobby-printer enthusiast might employ in his project.

Raft use is common in "professional grade printers," and should be pretty easy to add as an option.

I assume a raft has not been added yet, because there are more important things to work on; but this request is over 11 months old now, and I believe the feature is an elementary requirement.

Never implementing a raft in the program would seem like obtuse thinking to me.

FabberForge - Printing Happiness

[www.fabberforge.com]
Re: Does Slic3r Need a Raft Feature To Be Taken Seriously?... eye rolling smiley I Think So
November 17, 2012 03:55PM
retract within island/wipe would be nice too.....
Re: Does Slic3r Need a Raft Feature To Be Taken Seriously?... eye rolling smiley I Think So
November 17, 2012 06:27PM
Slic3r often generates infill that has no hope of sticking to the bed without a raft. I hate peeling rafts off of prints, but I would appreciate a raft for support option that surrounds the print without going under it.
November 17, 2012 06:46PM
IanJohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Slic3r often generates infill that has no hope of
> sticking to the bed without a raft. I hate
> peeling rafts off of prints, but I would
> appreciate a raft for support option that
> surrounds the print without going under it.

It sounds like you mean the Brim feature smiling smiley

I think Sound's priorities are correct, in implementing features that will affect the most users / those that are quickest and easiest to code. I personally don't see a need for rafts, but understand others may. Rallying together may help persuade him it is important.
However, implementing a feature just because it is often viewed as a basic feature is the wrong way to approach it. For PLA and ABS it is essentially redundant, as we experiment more with different materials perhaps it will become more necessary.

Issues with bed adhesion should firstly be addressed by the operator as I don't believe many people have experienced problems with how Slic3r lays the first layer, but perhaps I am wrong.
November 17, 2012 11:36PM
Raft? No. What Slic3r needs in order to be taken seriously is a bug-free release.

Retract between multiple copies is still broken in 0.9.5. Surface finish is still broken in 0.9.5, and has been broken in everything past 0.7.2b. Randomize starting points still doesn't work. I could go on. Most of these are longstanding bugs that have spanned multiple releases without noticeable improvement.

I've used other slicing engines such as SFact, Cura, and KISSlicer. Slic3r is hands down the most intuitive and easiest to use of them all. It has the potential to be a really great piece of software, IF these bugs get fixed.
November 18, 2012 01:23AM
crispy1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Raft? No. What Slic3r needs in order to be taken
> seriously is a bug-free release.
>

Hahahaha +1
November 18, 2012 01:36AM
@crispy see my "sick of slic3r" rant lol
November 18, 2012 11:51AM
Don't let Sound hear you say that......

wasted about 2 lbs of ABS with slic3r relaeses, now a Skeinforge fanboy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login