Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

doubts about the level of accuracy

Posted by efa 
efa
doubts about the level of accuracy
January 14, 2013 11:51AM
hi,
I want to build my new reprappro, but I have some doubts about the level of accuracy can I got.
In particular I'm worried about warpage along the X axis because it is not triangulated.
Can someone give me feedback about the promised 0.1 mm total accuracy here:
[reprappro.com]
Re: doubts about the level of accuracy
January 14, 2013 01:10PM
If you need the utmost accuracy, buy a commercial device. Accuracies of .1mm and even better are definitely achievable in hobbyist printers, but you'll spend a lot of time dialing your machine in to get them.
January 14, 2013 01:24PM
0.1 is fairly easy on most machines. Just be sure to have the flow set perfectly and have the belts tight. Tantillus owners get 0.05 repeatability with ease as long as everything is tight.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 16, 2013 12:30PM
The RepRapPro Mendel is just a Prusa Mendel, re-branded. You can expect the same performance as you would get from any other Prusa. That is to say that if you use nice belts, with non-printed pulleys, tight bearings, tight frame, etc. you can get decent prints. Depending on how fast you run the feed rate, and how good or bad the extruder hobbing is, you will have some variability.

I would be skeptical of any claims of accuracy, or repeatability in any kit, although I might be a little more inclined to believe someone with cred like Sublime, assembled or not, because there are to many variables

1. Ambient Temperature, Humidity,etc.
2. Plastic Filament Source.
3. Hot end quality control
4. Slicer settings
5. STL features.

Having said all that, it is possible to get awsome prints from a crappy machine, just as much as it is possible to get crappy prints from a rock solid, top of the line machine. It all depends on your skills at recognizing, and solving problems. It's part of what makes this hobby so attractive.
January 18, 2013 11:50AM
Remember that RepRapPro is partly owned and run by Adrian. While I don't think he has much involvement in the marketing, sales or unit production side, I would hope that he at least has enough good influence that the claims of accuracy can be treated with a similar degree of trust to a reliable forum member. Of course, if you aren't producing from a RepRapPro kit, that's a different matter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login