Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LEGO MINDSTORMS 3D PRINTING-MILLING MACHINE

Posted by MaR1oC 
LEGO MINDSTORMS 3D PRINTING-MILLING MACHINE
January 24, 2013 01:44PM
I am a 15-year-old student from Greece and I am currently developing a 3D Printing-Milling Machine out of LEGO Components
The project is hosted http://code.google.com/p/lego-mindstorms-3d-printing-machine/.

The reason I am posting this is to inquire the community about the development of an opensource project combining the modularity of LEGOs with CCPP (Creative Commons Peer Production) and alternative manufacturing techniques.

PS The machine isn't able to perform additive manufacturing, owing to the material of which LEGOs consist. Therefore it's able to perform substractive manufacturing.

-------------------------------
Ongoing project [code.google.com]
Re: LEGO MINDSTORMS 3D PRINTING-MILLING MACHINE
January 24, 2013 02:38PM
1. Printing with PLA you actually could do Additive FDM printing with a Lego setup. Legos are ABS, and we print on machines where the hotend is held by PLA parts in many cases. PLA has a lower melt point than ABS, therefore with a fan on the hotend, you should have no issues with a lego built machine printing PLA.

2. IMHO milling with a device made out of legos is far less likely than printing with a device made out of legos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2013 02:39PM by xclusive585.
VDX
January 24, 2013 03:37PM
... search in youtube for "lego 3d printer" ...

And 'Lego-RepStraps' were started here several times in the last 5 years - read here for some examples:

[forums.reprap.org]

[forums.reprap.org]

[forums.reprap.org]

[forums.reprap.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 24, 2013 03:54PM
Thank you very much! I will take them into consideration!
January 24, 2013 04:12PM
[www.youtube.com]

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 25, 2013 07:18AM
If you check my project's website, you will notice that it combines both RepRap designs & open knowledge and Milling techniques.
January 25, 2013 09:41AM
There's no reason you can't use a paste extruder:
[www.instructables.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login