Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer suggestions

Posted by DaGroundZero 
Printer suggestions
February 28, 2013 12:27AM
I'm looking for a 3d printer to print out some laser tagger bodies for my side business. As a family business, we host laser tag events. My current taggers are made machined and weigh about 5 pounds each. I'm looking to put some together myself for the younger kids that play.

What I'm looking for in a printer is one that has a build are of at least 8" x 5" x 3" I'm looking for good print results and quailty prints over speed. Dual color printing would be neat, but not a must. I'm looking at ABS, but want to do PLA as well. I don't mind a kit or fully working printer. I would like to keep the budget between $1,000 and $1500, but could go as high as $2000, if there was a big difference in the performance of the printer. SD card and LCD would be nice to have features, unless there is an advantage in print quality that I don't know about.

I've been looking at the Rostock max as well as the Mendel Max v2, but I thought I would ask for others that may have more insight into the world of 3d printer for ideas.
Thx,
Shawn
Re: Printer suggestions
February 28, 2013 01:00AM
You will want a bigger print area, because of printing outlines around print, and also prevention of warping. If the print is all the way out to the end it will rapidly cool and warp. you will need at least 2 inches on each side past the size of the part. so about 12inch size of table. Have you thought about making hybrid signs, such as laser cutting acrylic, and placing 3d images in the sign?

It seems more economical for such a large print to be laser cut.
March 02, 2013 12:58PM
How about a Mendel90? Nophead on here sells them. I'm on the waiting list smoking smiley It prints 8" x 8" x 8", maybe you could print diagonally across the bed for more space around the perimeter? I can't comment on the print quality / technique yet but it has good feedback.

R.
March 03, 2013 11:10PM
Thanks. I will take a look at it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login